geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Framework assembly problems with commands
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 13:25:07 GMT
Jarek Gawor wrote:
> Comments inline:
>
> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net> wrote:
>> It seems that a number of the commands stopped working on the framework
>> assembly sometime between the release of 2.1.1 and 2.1.2.   The problem
>> persists in 2.1.3, branches/2.1, and trunk.
>>
>> These are problems using the shell/batch commands.  I know we want to move
>> over completely to gshell ... but shouldn't these still be working now?
>>  There are no gshell equivalents for some of these (such as search-plugins).
>
> All these commands have GShell equivalents but they just might be
> named slightly differently (e.g. seach-plugins == list-plugins).
> However, the GShell equivalents might not support all the features of
> the commands (e.g. --offline is not supported in GShell).

Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I mistakenly assumed the commands
were not available in gshell when I went looking for the search-plugins
and didn't see it.  I did see list-plugins in the gshell help but it
looks like the description in trunk isn't quite right (indicates it
lists the installed plugins).

>> Commands such as search-plugins, list-targets, list-modules, and perhaps
>> others result in the following error:
>>
>> Using GERONIMO_BASE:   /Users/bohn/g-images/2.1.2/geronimo-framework-2.1.2
>> Using GERONIMO_HOME:   /Users/bohn/g-images/2.1.2/geronimo-framework-2.1.2
>> Using GERONIMO_TMPDIR: var/temp
>> Using JRE_HOME:        /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/Home
>> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.GBeanNotFoundException: No GBeans found:
>> [?#org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.Main]
>>        at
>> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicRegistry.getGBeanInstance(BasicRegistry.java:153)
>>        at
>> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.getGBean(BasicKernel.java:286)
>>        at
>> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.getGBean(BasicKernel.java:282)
>>        at
>> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.MainConfigurationBootstrapper.getMain(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:100)
>>        at
>> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.MainConfigurationBootstrapper.getMain(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:59)
>>        at
>> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.MainConfigurationBootstrapper.main(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:38)
>>        at
>> org.apache.geronimo.cli.AbstractCLI.executeMain(AbstractCLI.java:67)
>>        at
>> org.apache.geronimo.cli.deployer.DeployerCLI.main(DeployerCLI.java:31)
>>
>> Any pointers?  That's all there really is.  There's nothing in the logs.
>
> If basic deployment should work in the framework assembly we must also
> install "jsr88-cli" and "offline-deployer" plugins. Once I installed
> these plugins I was able to do list-targets, list-modules. I have not
> tried to deploy a new plugin though.

Thanks for the information Jarek.  We need to decide if we plan to keep
the commands around.  If so, then I think we need to ensure they
continue to work in all assemblies (esp. since this was working in 2.1.1
and earlier).  The refactoring of the CLI between 2.1.1 and 2.1.2 must
have introduced the requirement for these plugins in the framework which
were not necessary earlier.