geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Grails, JRuby on Rails, etc... scripting languages/environments and Geronimo integration
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 18:22:00 GMT
Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:
>
>> On Oct 10, 2008, at 4:27 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>> Grails framework - This is a self contained framework that leverages
>>> groovy for scripting.  It uses a rails like code by convention
>>> approach to generate and host web applications.   It is licensed
>>> under Apache. It embeds Jetty for hosting the generated web
>>> applications but can also export WAR files which can be then deployed
>>> application servers like Geronimo.  There is an article that gives a
>>> nice description on how to utilize Grails to generate a web app and
>>> deploy it into Geronimo
>>> (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ag-grails/).
>>> As far as integration with Geronimo goes, I'm not sure that there is
>>> much to we can do.  I guess we could document this in our wiki or
>>> perhaps generate a plugin (or whatever the Grails term is) so that
>>> the geronimo deployment plan can be generated rather than created
>>> manually, but I'm not sure that is worth the effort.  There doesn't
>>> seem to be a good place for programmatic integration with regard to
>>> the framework itself.
>>
>> Um, there isn't a good place, because there isn't really any need for
>> anything.  From the containers perspective its just another WAR
>> deployment.
>
> One thing I was thinking about was to create a Grails plugin (which
> contains the jars required to run a Grails web app). Thus avoiding
> having to package all of the Grails dependencies in the WAR, itself.
> Instead, they'd be declared as a dependency. Pushing wars with a bunch
> of redundant jars, didn't strike me as very desirable. Grails might need
> a bit of customization to build suitable WARS.

Interesting idea.  I hadn't really thought of that ... I just was
planning to work with the war generated by Grails.  I'll think about
constructing the war differently (or perhaps doing some inplace
deployment) and moving the grails jars to a plugin.

>> I would still be interested to see something, a sample even, running
>> under Grails inside of Geronimo.  AFAICT Grails is a very powerful
>> framework for whipping up apps, so we could potentially use it... say
>> for the console :-P
>
> A sample would certainly be helpful... Agreed about Grails, in general.
> I was thinking it would be interesting to see if we could make it
> simpler/more efficient to bridge between the two environments.

There is a sample of sorts in the article referenced earlier.  But, this
doesn't really do anything for Geronimo/Grails integration and is a
little hard to find.  We could certainly do something to provide a
sample/tutorial in our wiki ... but perhaps it would be much more
interesting if we did something with the grails gbean you proposed and
then some type of in-place deployment to make creating and running in
Geronimo quick and easy.  Something more to think about.  Thanks!