geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: An idea for defining custom valves in config.xml
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:55:08 GMT
Jason Warner wrote:
> Thanks for the explanation, David.  I don't disagree with anything
> you've explained, but I'm not sure you've addressed my concern about the
> disparity in the effort required to deploy a custom valve on tomcat and
> on geronimo.  Even with the a streamlined process involving a tomcat
> server portlet and using the tomcat6 plugin as a base, the user still
> has to become a plugin developer to deploy their valve on geronimo.  If
> that's how it has to be, then I suppose that's how it has to be.  I'm
> just concerned that it could turn off users that might have otherwise
> lived happily with geronimo.  I'm not really sure how widespread the use
> of custom valves are, though, so maybe it's just a small minority this
> would even effect.  I'd be curious to get some feedback from some other
> developers and see if they have any thoughts on the matter.  Anyone else
> out there keeping an eye on this thread?

I've been keeping an eye on it and I agree with you Jason that there is
a disparity in the work required to add a valve to tomcat versus that
required to add a valve to tomcat embedded in Geronimo.  I also agree
with David that the current Tomcat process does not lend itself to a
reproducible configuration.

In cases like this I tend to think like a politician and advocate a
both/and rather than an either/or.  I suspect that some users will want
things in Geronimo to be as similar to Tomcat as possible ... and so
will want a simple configuration solution.  Doing so might convince them
to move over to Geronimo and over time they may gain a greater
appreciation for a more Geronimo like solution.  Others might be coming
in with more knowledge of Geronimo and expect something that is more
consistent with Geronimo and can be reproduced.  Can we give them both
what they want?

It seems like we could help the Tomcat centric folks with a simple
configuration attribute that we can use to extend the classpath.  For
the more sophisticated Geronimo user we can direct them to
rebuild/redeploy the Tomcat module with the additional dependency on the
valve jar ... perhaps using c-m-p and then their own custom assembly.
Even while providing the first approach we can highly recommend the
second approach.

It seems to me that the attribute/classpath extension is a simple thing
to implement and will provide a high level of value to users that are
accustomed to Tomcat.  The Tomcat module rebuild/redeploy is just a
matter of documentation ... correct?

Joe