geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: svn commit: r702586 - in /geronimo/server/trunk/plugingroups/console-jetty: ./ pom.xml src/ src/main/ src/main/history/ src/main/history/dependencies.xml src/main/plan/
Date Wed, 08 Oct 2008 20:10:38 GMT
I agree that groups of plugins are useful and perhaps necessary from a
user perspective to help eliminate the clutter.  However, there are
several ways to provide for those groups.

The way that has thus far been pursued has been creating a new module
type (is that what you would call it?) of plugingroup.

I had proposed earlier that we just use plugins for this purpose.  We
can create plugins that do nothing more than aggregate other more
granular plugins.  We could still keep the attribute of plugin-group
around as a qualifier to filter out these special "aggregate plugins"
from among all of the other plugins when necessary (such as when
assembling a server or to present the user with a non-expert view of
plugin management).  When I proposed this earlier I was shot down
because of the classloader creation.  However, since David included a
change to omit the classloader if there is no plan ... then perhaps
there is no real inhibitor to this approach now since a plan is not
needed for an aggregate plugin.

I originally favored this approach because I felt it was the most
intuitive approach, ensured that the groupings of plugins could
participate in any scenario that a plugin can participate in today, and
  had the least code/maintenance impacts.  I think those benefits still
hold with the possible exception of the classloader change and what that
may mean when an aggregate plugin is used as a dependency which might
require a little more effort to resolve.

Joe