geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From randersen <robertander...@managementdynamics.com>
Subject Re: Multiple Instances With One Repository
Date Thu, 16 Oct 2008 18:56:05 GMT

djencks wrote:

>> In the WASCE_HOME directory, there is the main repository and var
>> directories, what I would like to do is to create a local
>> repository, and
>> start several instances that use that repository.  So I think I am
>> after a
>> structure like this:
>>
>> WASCE_HOME
>>    repo1
>>        instance1
>>        instance2
>>        instance3
>>    repo2
>>        instance1
>>        instance2
>>        instance3
>>    repo3
>>        instance1
>>        instance2
>>        instance3
>>
>> Is this possible?  If so, how would I do this?
>
> I'm not sure why you want mutliple repositories.  I think you can do
> what you want with only the default repository.
>
> We actually have sort of a sample of multiple servers sharing a
> repository.  One version that may be usable is at
> http://people.apache.org/~djencks/failover2.tar.gz
> To build it yourself build serve/trunk, then checkout
>
> svn co https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/geronimo/sandbox/failover
>
> and build the pieces independently.
>
> There's a linux script that makes a bunch of server copies (copying
> the var directory) and a couple scripts that start the servers on
> different ports.  This sample works on plugins so you can see plugins
> installed on each of the "servers".  The first time a plugin is
> installed it actually gets into the repository and the installation
> process may unpack stuff into that server's var dir.  When the plugin
> is installed on the other servers sharing the repo the only thing that
> happens is the unpacking into the var dir.
>
> You can do something similar with apps that you aren't thinking of as
> plugins by deploying the app into the appropriate first server, then
> starting the app in the other servers you want it running in.
>
> Productive use of this feature is just starting so please let us know
> what is unclear or if you run into problems or have more questions.
>
> many thanks
> david jencks

The structure would be more like:

WASCE_HOME
    customers
        customer1
            customer1-repo
            instance1
                var
            instance2
                var
        customer2
            customer2-repo
            instance1
              var

This would allow the deployment of multiple customers on 1 machine that use
different databases to use the same database pool without having to deploy a
second repository in each instance for the database pool.  Is there a system
property for the repository directory like there is for the var directory?