geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Grails, JRuby on Rails, etc... scripting languages/environments and Geronimo integration
Date Fri, 10 Oct 2008 16:24:19 GMT

On Oct 10, 2008, at 10:52 AM, Jason Dillon wrote:

> On Oct 10, 2008, at 4:27 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>> Grails framework - This is a self contained framework that
>> leverages groovy for scripting.  It uses a rails like code by
>> convention approach to generate and host web applications.   It is
>> licensed under Apache. It embeds Jetty for hosting the generated
>> web applications but can also export WAR files which can be then
>> deployed application servers like Geronimo.  There is an article
>> that gives a nice description on how to utilize Grails to generate
>> a web app and deploy it into Geronimo (http://www.ibm.com/developerworks/opensource/library/os-ag-grails/

>> ).
>> As far as integration with Geronimo goes, I'm not sure that there
>> is much to we can do.  I guess we could document this in our wiki
>> or perhaps generate a plugin (or whatever the Grails term is) so
>> that the geronimo deployment plan can be generated rather than
>> created manually, but I'm not sure that is worth the effort.  There
>> doesn't seem to be a good place for programmatic integration with
>> regard to the framework itself.
>
> Um, there isn't a good place, because there isn't really any need
> for anything.  From the containers perspective its just another WAR
> deployment.

One thing I was thinking about was to create a Grails plugin (which
contains the jars required to run a Grails web app). Thus avoiding
having to package all of the Grails dependencies in the WAR, itself.
Instead, they'd be declared as a dependency. Pushing wars with a bunch
of redundant jars, didn't strike me as very desirable. Grails might
need a bit of customization to build suitable WARS.

> I would still be interested to see something, a sample even, running
> under Grails inside of Geronimo.  AFAICT Grails is a very powerful
> framework for whipping up apps, so we could potentially use it...
> say for the console :-P

A sample would certainly be helpful... Agreed about Grails, in
general. I was thinking it would be interesting to see if we could
make it simpler/more efficient to bridge between the two environments.

>> JRuby on Rails - My understanding is that this is basically a Ruby
>> implementation that runs on the Java VM (the JRuby portion) and
>> leverages the Rails framework.  It is licensed under CPL/GPL/LGPL.
>> In many ways it is similar to Grails using an embedded web server
>> to facilitate a rapid application development environment ... this
>> time built upon the JRuby language interpreter.  Here again, I
>> suspect we can provide some directions so that an exported war
>> could be deployed in Geronimo (or perhaps a plugin to generate
>> geronimo deployment plans) but there doesn't seem to be much in the
>> way of direct integration that we can provide.
>>
>> There are other frameworks as well.  Trails is one that I stumbled
>> on which is also in the same vein as Grails with a focus on
>> definition of the domain model and generating the rest of the app
>> dynamically.
>
> From what I have seen, most dynamic languages which run in Java also
> support some-sort of web/WAR integration.  But don't really require
> much else to work.  So I think that simply providing samples is
> sufficient.
>
> I guess supporting the javax.script/JSR-223 stuff via Apache BSF 3.x
> is a good idea, though really I've no idea how/if/why someone would
> want to use it.  Maybe someone wants to generate a web-page, or
> maybe someone wants to get the return value of a script injected
> into their GBean, or wants the script to be their GBean, or wants to
> have a chunk of script executed when the server loads... who knows.

Personally, I thought Grails was the best fit, but that may be because
I've used Groovy more (which isn't saying a whole lot) and new a bit
more about it...

--kevan