geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [jetty-dev] Jetty Security refactoring for JASPI
Date Thu, 30 Oct 2008 07:39:16 GMT
Hi Jan,

On Oct 29, 2008, at 7:37 PM, Jan Bartel wrote:

> Hi David,
>
> I'm still snatching time to tiptoe further around the jaspi branch.
>
> A couple of thoughts to run by you:
>
> 1. UserIdentity and LoginService classnames. These are quasi analogous
>   to UserPrincipal and UserRealm (although the behaviour has been
> refactored).
>   I'm wondering whether it might not be a good idea to retain the old
>   classnames, just so it might be easier for jetty users/developers
>   to ease into understanding the new security structures?

I'm not sure that keeping the old names would help anyone understand
the new code, I rather think it would be confusing.  I'd really rather
not call UserIdentity a Principal since it isn't a Principal and
depending on the security handler implementation can contain rather
different things.  The main point of introducing it was that in jetty
integrations (Geronimo and from distant memory JBoss) the
UserPrincipal was ridiculously overloaded to contain incredible
amounts of non-principal information associated with the user's
identity.  I think that instead it makes sense to have an object that
supplies the UserPrincipal, plus whatever else the security system
needs.  I don't have strong objection to calling the LoginService
UserRealm but I think its going to be confusing and less informative
since it doesn't have the non-login-service methods any more.

> 1a. Actually thinking about this, it will probably be quite
> important for
>   Jetty users to be able to make a smooth transition over to a jaspi-
> based
>   implementation. Do you think we can retain a UserRealm and a
> UserPrincipal
>   with all their methods intact, but just "blend in" the jaspi-ness
> with
>   some extra methods and some changed implementations of the
> existing apis?

Maybe.  I think the new interfaces are a lot clearer and more
descriptive for embedding jetty that the old ones.  I could look into
writing adapters from UserIdentity to UserPrincipal and LoginService
to UserRealm but I'm not entirely sure it will work.  In particular
I'm not at all sure the non login-service methods on UserRealm could
plausibly be called.

> 2. We allow a UserRealm to be explicitly set on a WebAppContext (well,
>   strictly speaking its
> WebAppContext.getSecurityHandler().setUserRealm(UserRealm)).
>   I couldn't see specific support for that, only getting a list of
>   LoginServices from the Server instance. Should be easy enough to
>   put in though?

I'm not sure how my code is different, except the LoginService is
final and set in the constructor of ServletCallbackHandler, around
line 1042 of WebXmlConfiguration.  I don't recall changing this code
much...

> 3. With the JAAS stuff, which has its own set of callbacks it
>   uses to obtain info, we used a DefaultCallbackHandler to plug in
>   the right info, such as credentials, passwords, usernames and
>   also extra request parameters from the login. I notice you're using
>   an anonymous CallbackHandler instead to pass into the JAAS
> LoginContext.
>   Is it possible to use the DefaultCallbackHandler instead? It
> supports
>   a couple more callback types that some LoginModule implementations
> may
>   depend on.

I could misunderstand the DefaultCallbackHandler but I think that the
extensions to a user-password callback handler all involve extracting
credentials from the request.  In the jaspi architecture this is the
function of the auth module, not the password validation service.  A
login module that fishes directly in the request ought to be
refactored into a plain login module that just validates the
credentials and an auth module that extracts the credentials from the
message.  Despite all the weirdness in jaspi I think this is a good
idea and worth enforcing.

I guess someone who really really wanted to preserve their login
module could write a subclass of LoginCallback that dealt with request
parameters, and a JAASLoginService subclass.  This would be made
easier by factoring out the CallbackHandler creation in
JAASLoginService into a protected method.   Looks like I left out some
exception handling there too :-(  I'd rather not encourage this however.

> 4. Minor thing - is there a lot of value in the RunAsToken marker
> interface
>   as opposed to just having a String? The roles and role mappings are
>   themselves just Strings, so I was wondering what the utility is?

This is an embedding thing also.  It's pretty unclear what run-as is
actually supposed to mean and how things like supplying the identity
for a web service client or other remote call is supposed to work. (If
the web service is supposed to be called as the user, rather than the
server's identity, and you are in a run-as role, what credentials does
this run-as-role identity supply????)  In Geronimo we represent the
run-as role by a Subject obtained by logging into a security realm.
So, the geronimo run-as token has this Subject in it.  We might want
to store a UserIdentity there instead..... anyway I don't think
constraining the representation of the run-as identity is wise.

BTW remember that the current auth modules implementing BASIC/DIGEST/
FORM auth are more or less temporary until we more or less agree on
the main interfaces, at which time I plan to rewrite them in more
jetty-friendly form (also after apachecon :-)

Many thanks!
david jencks

> best regards
> Jan
>
> David Jencks wrote:
>>
>> On Oct 16, 2008, at 11:59 PM, Jan Bartel wrote:
>>
>>> Hi David,
>>>
>>> Firstly, let me genuflect in recognition of your extraordinary
>>> efforts
>>> for a) reading the spec b) being able to make heads or tails of it