geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Framework assembly problems with commands
Date Tue, 14 Oct 2008 16:40:46 GMT

On Oct 14, 2008, at 6:25 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> Jarek Gawor wrote:
>> Comments inline:
>> On Mon, Oct 13, 2008 at 4:39 PM, Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net>
>> wrote:
>>> It seems that a number of the commands stopped working on the
>>> framework
>>> assembly sometime between the release of 2.1.1 and 2.1.2.   The
>>> problem
>>> persists in 2.1.3, branches/2.1, and trunk.
>>>
>>> These are problems using the shell/batch commands.  I know we want
>>> to move
>>> over completely to gshell ... but shouldn't these still be working
>>> now?
>>> There are no gshell equivalents for some of these (such as search-
>>> plugins).
>> All these commands have GShell equivalents but they just might be
>> named slightly differently (e.g. seach-plugins == list-plugins).
>> However, the GShell equivalents might not support all the features of
>> the commands (e.g. --offline is not supported in GShell).
>
> Ah, thanks for the clarification.  I mistakenly assumed the commands
> were not available in gshell when I went looking for the search-
> plugins and didn't see it.  I did see list-plugins in the gshell
> help but it looks like the description in trunk isn't quite right
> (indicates it lists the installed plugins).
>
>>> Commands such as search-plugins, list-targets, list-modules, and
>>> perhaps
>>> others result in the following error:
>>>
>>> Using GERONIMO_BASE:   /Users/bohn/g-images/2.1.2/geronimo-
>>> framework-2.1.2
>>> Using GERONIMO_HOME:   /Users/bohn/g-images/2.1.2/geronimo-
>>> framework-2.1.2
>>> Using GERONIMO_TMPDIR: var/temp
>>> Using JRE_HOME:        /System/Library/Frameworks/JavaVM.framework/
>>> org.apache.geronimo.kernel.GBeanNotFoundException: No GBeans found:
>>> [?#org.apache.geronimo.kernel.util.Main]
>>>       at
>>> org
>>> .apache
>>> .geronimo
>>> .kernel.basic.BasicRegistry.getGBeanInstance(BasicRegistry.java:153)
>>>       at
>>> org
>>> .apache
>>> .geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.getGBean(BasicKernel.java:286)
>>>       at
>>> org
>>> .apache
>>> .geronimo.kernel.basic.BasicKernel.getGBean(BasicKernel.java:282)
>>>       at
>>> org
>>> .apache
>>> .geronimo
>>> .kernel
>>> .util
>>> .MainConfigurationBootstrapper
>>> .getMain(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:100)
>>>       at
>>> org
>>> .apache
>>> .geronimo
>>> .kernel
>>> .util
>>> .MainConfigurationBootstrapper
>>> .getMain(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:59)
>>>       at
>>> org
>>> .apache
>>> .geronimo
>>> .kernel
>>> .util
>>> .MainConfigurationBootstrapper
>>> .main(MainConfigurationBootstrapper.java:38)
>>>       at
>>> org.apache.geronimo.cli.AbstractCLI.executeMain(AbstractCLI.java:67)
>>>       at
>>> org.apache.geronimo.cli.deployer.DeployerCLI.main(DeployerCLI.java:
>>> 31)
>>>
>>> Any pointers?  That's all there really is.  There's nothing in the
>>> logs.
>> If basic deployment should work in the framework assembly we must
>> also
>> install "jsr88-cli" and "offline-deployer" plugins. Once I installed
>> these plugins I was able to do list-targets, list-modules. I have not
>> tried to deploy a new plugin though.
>
> Thanks for the information Jarek.  We need to decide if we plan to
> keep the commands around.  If so, then I think we need to ensure
> they continue to work in all assemblies (esp. since this was working
> in 2.1.1 and earlier).  The refactoring of the CLI between 2.1.1 and
> 2.1.2 must have introduced the requirement for these plugins in the
> framework which were not necessary earlier.

IMO framework is intended only to support plugin installation, not any
kind of deployment such as using geronimo-gbean-deployer for service
plugins.  So, I don't want to try to support offline deployment until
we have a way of plugging things into gshell so we can add offline
deployment capabilities to a base gshell install.

thanks
david jencks