geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Lin Sun" <>
Subject Re: svn commit: r694978 - in /geronimo/server/trunk: assemblies/geronimo-framework/ assemblies/geronimo-jetty6-javaee5/ assemblies/geronimo-jetty6-minimal/ assemblies/geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5/ assemblies/geronimo-tomcat6-minimal/ buildsupport/car-mav
Date Fri, 19 Sep 2008 17:07:46 GMT
I think if we want to make users easier to build a project, the best
is that we can construct the dependency list automatically for the
user, perhaps at deployment time.   This would even save the user from
listing plugin groups as dependencies in various geronimo deployment
plans.  Maybe it is worthy while to investigate if it is possible to
do this?

On Wed, Sep 17, 2008 at 6:35 PM, Joe Bohn <> wrote:
> David Jencks wrote:
I haven't
if we
> [...]
> deployer equivalents).   But will all dependencies included in a plugingroup
> also be pulled in by some deployer's default environment?
> However, what happens with user or 3rd party created plugingroups?  Will
> they always have comparable deployers and hence default environments so they
> don't need to be specified as a dependency?
> Perhaps the user wants the base server to include some core Geronimo bits
> (Jetty, Axis2, etc...) and some of their own functions ... perhaps a
> plugingroup of utilities provided by some 3rd party.  For example, let's say
> there is a plugingroup that includes several common debug utilities like
> configurable logging, first-failure data capture, policy validation, etc...
> let's call it "debug utilities".  Next the user assembles a server using a
> combination of the geronimo plugingroups and "debug utilities" for a base
> server image.  They plan on using this image multiple times to manage
> multiple configurations rather than creating unique assemblies.  If they
> want to build plugins for their applications that will be deployed to this
> image, they can configure the c-m-p deployers and thereby pull in the
> default environment dependencies for the geronimo plugingroups.  But they
> still have to include the individual plugins from "debug utilities" as
> dependencies if we don't support using the plugingroup in as dependencies.
> Again, my goal is only to get some consistency for the end user.  I still
> think it's a good idea that our users will appreciate.
> Some more rambling thoughts ....
> While I understand and appreciate the idea of configuring the deployers for
> c-m-p and having them pull in the necessary default environments, it seems a
> bit backward from a user perspective.  If we want users to embrace plugins
> and using maven to construct them, I think it would make more sense to a
> user if we approach the problem from the other angle.  A user creating a
> plugin probably already has some idea of the dependencies they will need
> (either plugins or plugingroups if appropriate).   If we let them specify
> the dependencies we should be able to determine which of those dependencies
> requires a particular deployer (at least dependencies of ours).  We could
> make it more general  purpose by always naming the deployers consistently
> based upon the module that they support (ex. -deployer in the artifactId).
> I'm not sure how we would accomplish that (perhaps another maven plugin that
> front-ends c-m-p) or how we would know if a deployer exists for a given
> plugin.  But it seems a bit more intuitive to me than telling the user
> figure out the c-m-p deployers based upon their dependencies and then omit
> the dependencies so that the deployers can pull them in via the default
> environment.
> I hope I'm not driving you crazy ... it just seems obvious to me that users
> will want to leverage plugingroups the same way that they leverage plugins.

View raw message