geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] plugingroups - another idea
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 14:01:25 GMT
Maybe I'm starting to understand what you are saying...

On Sep 12, 2008, at 1:17 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> Joe,
>
> I think I understand what you are saying. First, there are two key
> issues about plugin groups as of right now:
>
> 1) The geronimo-plugin.xml for plugin groups have
> <pluginGroup>true</pluginGroup> element set to indicate the plugin is
> a plugin group.
> 2) The plugin groups are packaged as jars.
>
> About #2:
>
> Since the plugin groups are packaged as jars (and if I understand
> things correctly), the plugin group does not show up in the
> config.xml, there is no classloader associated with the plugin group,
> and plugin group will not show up in the
> ~/.m2/repository/geronimo-plugin.xml file. Since the global
> geronimo-plugin.xml is not updated, it basically means you won't be
> able to see any plugin groups under console->install plugins no matter
> which remote or local repo you point to. The plugin groups will only
> show up under the console->assemble server (which will only show you
> already installed plugin groups).
>
> So yes, plugin groups right now are very "assemble a server" specific.
> If we turn the plugin groups into cars we would get a lot more
> flexibility: classloaders, remote install of plugin groups, etc.

I wasn't clearly aware that our plugin install stuff didn't recognize
the plugin groups as plugins.  Now that I do I think its a bug :-)
I'm not sure if the plugin group packaging file extension should be
car or jar or something else, so far I lean towards car.

> About #1:
>
> I think the "pluginGroup" element in geronimo-plugin.xml is really
> only used for classification purposes. That is, so that the plugin
> appears under the right menu in the console or the CLI tool. And if
> so, we could probably make this a bit more generic and introduce some
> sort of tagging to geronimo-plugin.xml. For example, we could allow a
> zero or more arbitrary tags to be associated with the given plugin.
> The console or the CLI tools would then present a list of tag names to
> the user. The user could choose one or more tags which would resolve
> to multiple plugins.
> This could also be an alternative solution to plugin groups where
> multiple plugins tagged with the same tag would constitute a plugin
> group (so there would be no need for a separate maven module for each
> plugin group).
(random musings)
We could also use "category" instead if we only need one tag.
Multiple tags might offer the ability to assemble servers out of
queries against the tag space.  I think that just using tags on
individual plugins would make the results of a query indeterminate --
you can just add more plugins with a certain tag -- so at the moment
I'm still in favor of having an explicit plugingroup project with a
known determinate list of contents.  This is an interesting idea that
we should explore further.

thanks
david jencks