geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: openejb-jar-2.2.xsd missing from the schema subdirectory of the main Geronimo installation directory
Date Wed, 03 Sep 2008 22:50:51 GMT

On Sep 3, 2008, at 12:28 PM, Ted Kirby wrote:

> On Wed, Sep 3, 2008 at 2:37 PM, David Jencks
> <david_jencks@yahoo.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sep 3, 2008, at 11:17 AM, Ted Kirby wrote:
>>
>>> I opened JIRA (GERONIMO-4276) openejb-jar-2.2.xsd missing from the
>>> schema subdirectory of the main Geronimo installation directory to
>>> fix
>>> this in Geronimo.
>>
>> What's the difference between openejb-jar-2.0.xsd that we have in
>> geronimo-openejb-builder/src/main/xsd and openejb-jar-2.2.xsd?
>> Should we
>> upgrade the 2.0 to 2.2?
>
> I see geronimo-openejb-2.0.xsd in
> geronimo-openejb-builder/src/main/xsd, not openejb-jar-2.2.xsd.

I guess I wasn't clear.  I looked in our current code base and found
the 2.0 xsd.  What is the difference between the 2.0 xsd geronimo uses
and the 2.2 xsd from openejb?  Should we change geronimo-openejb-
builder to use the 2.2 schema?

>> In general we need a better solution for getting the schemas into
>> the schema
>> directory.  Previously I've been thinking that we should enhance
>> the plugin
>> installer to be able to extract files from the classpath as well as
>> the
>> unpacked car, but I'm wondering if it would be sufficient to use
>> perhaps the
>> maven dependency plugin to extract the schemas and put them into
>> the car
>> file directly and then use the existing copy-file functionality to
>> get them
>> unpacked on plugin install.  This would eliminate an entire
>> function of
>> boilerplate that really doesn't belong there anyway.
>
> I can't really comment on your approach, other than to say it sounds
> good,and I agree I think a better approach is needed.  The one I put
> in the JIRA is not very sophisticated or general.  It address this
> specific issue.  There is mechanism to copy schemas, but I could not
> figure it out.  Comments/stanzas like this in pom.xml:
>
>           <!--
>            HACK: Copy XmlBeans generated schemas.
>            -->
>            <plugin>
>                <groupId>org.apache.geronimo.buildsupport</groupId>
>                <artifactId>buildsupport-maven-plugin</artifactId>
>                <executions>
>                    <execution>
>                        <goals>
>                            <goal>copy-xmlbeans-schemas</goal>
>                        </goals>
>                    </execution>
>                </executions>
>            </plugin>

This is for eclipse support and has nothing to do with the source xsds
and only affects the e.g. geronimo-openejb-builder project.  What I
was suggesting was to use the (I think) maven dependency plugin to
extract the schemas from the geronimo-*-builder jars into a
appropriate location so they also get included as plain files inside
the *-deployer car files so they can be extracted using the existing
copy-files functionality in geronimo-plugin.xml.  I'm not certain
which maven plugin would be best for this but think the dependency
plugin is a good place to start looking.

thanks
david jencks