geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: boilerplate, jaxws-tools (convert from jar to car format?)
Date Mon, 29 Sep 2008 17:50:28 GMT

On Sep 29, 2008, at 10:07 AM, Lin Sun wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'd like to convert all jar format geronimo plugins to car format, and
> currently I see boilerplate and jaxws-tools as jar format.   When they
> are in jar format, they are marked as installable even if they are
> already installed.   I think this is caused by the fact the c-m-p
> handles geronimo plugins in jar format and car format differently.   I
> am hoping the converting is possible now that David puts support of no
> plan in c-m-p recently to avoid adding to the classloader and server
> config.    Any reason why they are in jar format right now?

At least the boilerplate uses the assembly plugin rather than c-m-p.
I'm not sure you will be able to get the assembly plugin to generate
a .car file without switching to using the c-m-p.  I think it would be
nice to use c-m-p instead of the assembly plugin here but I'm not sure
what you'd need to do.  You might need to use the deployment plugin to
copy a bunch of jars (j2ee-system-2.2-SNAPSHOT.car) to a temp area and
the antrun plugin to copy them to the appropriate (e.g. bin/
server.jar) location.  I tried out some stuff like this in rev http://svn.apache.org/viewcvs?view=rev&rev=697437

  related to GERONIMO-4302: that had some other problems that caused
me to revert the change.

I hope you can get this to work one way or another without too much
hair-pulling :-)

thanks
david jencks