geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Making framework more obviously self-sufficient
Date Wed, 24 Sep 2008 03:28:21 GMT

On Sep 23, 2008, at 1:17 PM, David Jencks wrote:

> I'd like framework to build the entire working framework server,
> thus demonstrating that it really is a complete server.  I think it
> would work with the following changes:
>
> - move at least the car-maven-plugin into framework, perhaps all of
> buildsupport
> - move the jsr88 classloader into framework
> - move the framework plugingroup into framework
> - move the assemblies geronimo-boilderplate and geronimo-framework
> into framework
>
> This is somewhat related to https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4258
>
> Thoughts? Objections? Comments?

Personally, seems a bit forced... I'm not sure I understand your
motivations, and if I do understand, not sure that I really agree with
them. Why exactly is "demonstrating that it really is a complete
server" necessary? Or good?

Can you be a bit more precise about what you mean by 'jsr88
classloader'?

Personally, I kind of like that a 'plugingroup' can be found in 'trunk/
plugingroups'. Similar feelings for assemblies and buildsupport.

My sense is that you want 'framework' to be a standalone entity, as if
it were separately releasable -- which we could do (although I don't
see much advantage in that, at the moment...). Until we're ready to
truly split it apart, I'm not sure there's much gain by going half-way.

--kevan