geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Privacy Clause in Google Analytics Terms of Service
Date Thu, 18 Sep 2008 15:55:00 GMT

On Sep 17, 2008, at 5:40 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> I'd be fine with either option.  It's certainly simple enough to add
> the privacy clause.  We can do that for now even if we decide to
> remove Analytics entirely later on.  I personally haven't been
> checking the Google Analytics very often but perhaps others have
> been making more use of it?

I've looked at it from time to time, but can't say that I've really
used it...

I have learned this week that there's more information available than
I originally knew about. For example, you can find the domain names of
visitors to the site (not individual ip addresses) -- you can see the
domain names of visitors to the download.html page. IMO, there is the
potential for abuse of this information.

Any Google Analytics data should be treated as private to our project.
If we're able to use the information to improve access to our web
site, provide better information, etc -- that's great. However, the
data needs to stay within our project.

--kevan