geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Java doc is Geronimo 2.0.1 API
Date Thu, 25 Sep 2008 15:04:01 GMT

Joe Bohn wrote:
> Jason Dillon wrote:
>> On Sep 22, 2008, at 11:57 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>>> Yep, that's pretty ancient.  So it looks like we haven't released
>>> javadoc for Geronimo since the referenced link to 2.0.1.
>>>
>>> Does anybody know if the plan was to start using a maven generated
>>> site to produce provide this and we just haven't implemented it yet?
>>
>> AFAIK yes.
>>

>>> There is a maven site out there for server but the content seems
>>> related to trunk and I haven't figured out how to navigate is
>>> successfully to actually get to javadoc (if any actually exists).
>>> See http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/server/
>>
>> Sure there are docs there:
>>

>> http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/server/modules/geronimo-activation/apidocs/index.html

>> Maven default site muck does a good job at hiding them, have to click
>> on a module (jar module), then Project Reports and then JavaDocs.  We
>> could change the skin or add index.apt files to the modules to link to
>> the important stuff on the main module page though.
>
> Ah, so there *is* javadoc buried in there.  Thanks for pointing it out.
>  I agree that it would be nice if we could make this more visible and
> perhaps aggregated at a higher level than the module level.
>

>>> Assuming the direction is to move toward using maven site generation
>>> - there may be some problems.  The doc that I've found indicates that
>>> site generation is not support for multi module builds - which covers
>>> both Geronimo and our samples (another area that we need to
>>> address).  Does anybody have any pointers/advice on generating sites
>>> for multi module builds.  Is this even possible?
>>
>> Sure its possible, that is how the
>> http://geronimo.apache.org/maven/server tree got up there in the first
>> place.  What docs have you found that state otherwise?
>
> I was looking at the maven site plugin docs like this one:
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/
> and
> http://maven.apache.org/plugins/maven-site-plugin/site-mojo.html
>
> While the second link only references generating the site for a single
> project I guess it really doesn't preclude multi module builds directly
> ... and stating that the links between modules will not work in a multi
> module build.
>
> I was thinking that this may explain some of the problems with
> generating the site for samples ... it may just be that I have some more
> configuration to do.

I'm still not convinced that multi module sites work correctly.  After
some more tweaks for the samples 2.1 I can get a more reasonable site -
but none of the child links work (as mentioned in the docs I found).
At least that is the case when I build the site locally using just "mvn
site".  Perhaps when I attempt to deploy the site the links will be
valid - I'll have to give that a shot.

I was able to get the javadocs and xrefs to aggregate if specified for
the javadoc/xref plugins.  However, that didn't seem very useful from an
end user perspective as the content for all of the samples really
shouldn't be smashed together.  If I can't get the navigation working
then I'll might just add a link in the wiki page for each sample to its
site content once published.  Any other ideas?

Joe