geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Reduce 2.2 server footprint by making some current plugins optional
Date Tue, 16 Sep 2008 15:19:16 GMT
Did a quick experiment with removing some "optional" items from the
Tomcat assembly (results are using Java 5 on a 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo system
running openSUSE 11.0.)

The current geronimo-tomcat6-javaee5 tar.gz assembly for trunk I built
last night is 87.1 MB, takes 23.5 secs to start and uses 170MB RAM.

If we removed the following from the assembly and made them optional
plugins that the user can install if they want these features -
   - MConsole
   - Dojo
   - Debug Views
   - Plan Creator
   - CXF

Then the tar.gz drops to 79.5 MB, takes 19 secs to start and uses 155MB
RAM.  About 2.8 secs was for the Monitoring Console and agent support,
with another 0.5 secs being the Plan Creator and Debug Views.

-Donald