geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Reduce 2.2 server footprint by making some current plugins optional
Date Fri, 12 Sep 2008 13:55:27 GMT
Worth investigating towards the "reduce startup time" goal.
We really shouldn't be starting every module (like OpenEJB and ActiveMQ)
until an application that depends upon them is deployed (which may
require some console updates for deployed portlets that depended on
those modules....)

Maybe someone has time to experiment setting load="false" in an assembly
and then verifying that we load/start them once an app is deployed.  The
page to enable/disable could be useful, but stopping/disabling running
modules (like OpenEJB) would also stop any deployed apps that need it
and would require some user notification/acceptance before we stopped
the  module and any other apps....

Also, I think there is a JIRA opened about stopping a module in the
console does not survive a server restart, as stopping does not set
load="false".  So we would also need a console update to allow
disable/enable along with the stop/start actions, with the disable
action stopping the modules (with the user prompts) and then setting
load="false".

-Donald