geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject [DISCUSS] Reduce 2.2 server footprint by making some current plugins optional
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 17:21:45 GMT
Someone mentioned on another thread(s) awhile back that they would like
to see us reduce the server footprint and startup time for 2.2.

One way to do this (mainly for footprint) would be to start moving some
of the plugins that are not required for a JEE5 runtime out of the
server assemblies we create and made available as optional user
installable plugins (from the normal maven repos.)

I'm proposing that we remove the following from the default server
assemblies as a start:
  - Debug Views
  - Monitoring
  - Plan Creator

We can either update the Welcome Portlet to mention these are available
from the Plugin repo or create a "placeholder" portlet for each that
describes what the optional plugin provides along with a link to install
the full version.  Also, the testsuite would be updated to install the
required plugin before any tests are executed against it.

Thoughts?

-Donald