geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Samples - Why are the tomcat/jetty prerequisites not set?
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:39:04 GMT
As a "user" I hate how the Plugin portlet and cmdline show plugins that
can't/shouldn't be installed on my Tomcat JEE5 or Minimal server....

Seems that we're confusing/complicating everyone's life for a framework
assembly scenario that should be handled in the code:
- If a plugin lists tomcat or jetty as a depend, but the server has the
opposite container installed, then it should not be installable.
- If a plugin lists tomcat or jetty as a depend, but the server has
neither installed, then the plugin is installable.

The same logic would be applied to axis2 and cxf depends.

-Donald

David Jencks wrote:

> On Sep 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
>
>> OK, it's because of wanting to install on a framework assembly....
>> Guess we're stuck with this for 2.1, but never liked this approach,
>> especially given we are providing Tomcat and Jetty versions of each
>> sample and most do truly prereq a web container...
>>
>> I disagree with this approach for 2.2 since we'll have plugin profiles
>> that users should be using instead of starting with the framework
>> assembly.
>
> what? why does the existence of the framework profile change the
> reasoning?  You need enough of a server to install plugins, then
> everything else required for the app is pulled in.  The framework
> profile defines this minimal server.  The framework profile just makes
> it easier to assemble servers, it doesn't change how to add stuff to a
> server.  I don't see any relevance of any of the other profiles since
> they are designed to help with assembling servers with specific
> capabilities, which is irrelevant to the process of installing plugins
> into a frameworks server.
>
> not sure how coherent this is but I don't understand what you are saying
> at all.
>
> thanks
> david jencks
>>

>> -Donald
>>
>> Joe Bohn wrote:
>>> We had this discussion a while ago (along with a lot of other samples
>>> issues).  The results were summarized in the wiki status page:
>>> http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxPMGT/geronimo-samples-212-release-work-items.html
Here's