geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Plugin groups
Date Wed, 10 Sep 2008 21:18:34 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Sep 10, 2008, at 10:42 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:
>
>> David Jencks wrote:
>>> I looked at the new plugin groups stuff and have a couple
>>> ideas/suggestions.
>>> I'm going to create a framework plugin group.  Is there some reason
>>> this won't work?
>>> I'd like to see the plugin groups distributed closer to where their
>>> components are found, e.g. web-jetty in plugins/jetty.  Does this
>>> seem reasonable?
>>
>> Hmm .. I kinda like having them as another category of things.  I can
>> image that there might be groups created in the future that have an
>> equal affinity to several components. For example, where would the
>> framework plugin group fit?
>
> It ought to be in framework, along with boilerplate.  Unfortunately we
> can't quite crowbar it in yet.
>
> I think putting the groups with the stuff they aggregate fits well with
> the long term goal that I thought we were agreed on to put most of the
> server plugins into /plugins and release them separately from the main
> server (i.e. framework).

I didn't think the suggestion to keep the plugin-groups independent was
in conflict with the separate plugin releases (in fact I thought it
further supported it).  Perhaps I don't understand the plugin-groups
well enough.

It was my understanding that the plugin-groups aggregated plugins
together and could be arbitrarily complex.  I also thought that the
plugin groups would themselves be cars (with dependencies on other cars)
that could be released and installed independently (however I just
noticed that they are actually jars in the build so maybe I am confused).

If we distribute them with specific plugins (which are just one of many
that are included in the group) then I'm not clear how you would choose
which plugin to associate it with.  For example, if you wanted a group
that included tomcat, cxf, ejb, and clustering which plugin would get
"ownership" of the group?

I hope I'm not confusing the issue too much.

Thanks,
Joe