geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: svn commit: r699202 - in /geronimo/server/trunk: buildsupport/car-maven-plugin/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/mavenplugins/car/ framework/modules/geronimo-deploy-jsr88/src/main/java/org/apache/geronimo/deployment/plugin/jmx/ framework/modules/
Date Fri, 26 Sep 2008 16:30:38 GMT

On Sep 26, 2008, at 9:13 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> Hmm... how is the "installedArtifacts" updated when a plugin gets
> uninstalled?

It's not.  Uninstalling a plugin is not exactly a deterministic
operation and definitely not closely related to or the inverse of
installing one: installing a plugin unpacks files and configuration
that you may not want to remove, and also pulls in dependencies that
may then be used by other plugins.  We should encourage people to
assemble a new server instead of uninstalling plugins.

> Also, what should getInstalledPlugins() return? A list of
> all plugins in the repo or a list of plugins enabled for the given
> server instance?

Which method exactly are you asking about?  The config store would
tell you all the plugins that are in the repos known to the server.
The plugin installer would tell you all the plugins that have been
installed on this server instance.  These are barely related when you
are running multiple servers off of one geronimo install.  For an
example see the plugin farm instructions:

http://cwiki.apache.org/confluence/display/GMOxDOC22/Plugin+based+Farming

thanks
david jencks