geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Geronimo 2.1&2.2 Documentation
Date Wed, 17 Sep 2008 16:56:06 GMT
I took a look at this new page and am very sorry to report that I
don't think it's an improvement.  While the idea of having a summary
page like this seems reasonable much of the content seems to be
inaccurate or have unfortunate emphasis:

Plugins are actually system modules.
- plugins can be system modules, applications, classloader
definitions, and plugin groups.  Everything is a plugin in
geronimo :-)  I'm reluctant to use both of the terms "module" and
"plugin"; module seems to me like it's undefined whereas plugin has a
specific meaning in geronimo.  I think what you can safely say is that
geronimo servers are assemblages of plugins.
An assembly, then, is a grouping of modules that provides a Geronimo
server instance with its feature set.
-s/modules/plugins

  Assemblies are the different ways you can create a server out of the
various modules available.
-s/modules/plugins

  Plugins are very dependent and sensitive to server versions. As
such, plugins that are compiled against one server version (like
Geronimo 2.1) might not deploy or function correctly in new releases
(such as Geronimo 2.1.3). Just as you must redeploy your applications
when migrating to updated server releases, you must regenerate any
existing plugins for different server levels.
-To the extent this is true it is basically a bug.  We're trying to
find ways to keep plugin compatibility between 2.x.* versions.  For
instance, we're using artifact aliases in the 2.1.3 release to
indicate each plugin can replace the 2.1.2 version.

  Last but not least, when installing plugins you need Internet access
so the plugin installer can retrieve all the necessary dependencies
from the online repositories.
-No, you need access to plugin repositories that contain the required
plugins and libraries.  This can be online, offline, corporate, local,
a cd, another geronimo server,.....

Starting with Geronimo 2.2, the servers are assembled entirely out of
plugins.
-s/2.2/2.1

     * Most plugins are modules, describing a classloader and services
and possibly containing classes and resources.
     * Plugins also contain descriptive information and include
additional instructions on how the plugin fits into a server.
     * Information about multiple plugins can be collected into a
plugin catalog, often located in a maven repository
     * A plugin repository is basically a plugin catalog together with
a maven-structured repository containing plugins.
     * Plugins can be installed from a plugin repository into an
existing Geronimo server using GShell commands or the Geronimo
Administration Console.
     * Plugin metadata for an existing plugin in a Geronimo server can
be edited (to some extent) in the administrative console.
     * A new server containing a specified set of plugins can be
extracted from an existing server using GShell commands or the
Geronimo Administration Console.
     * The dependency system assures that the resulting server has all
needed plugins to operate.

This list seems badly organized and incomplete to me.  I'd prefer
something like this:

What is a plugin?
- plugins have an identifier with groupId, artifactId, version, and
type.  (It's possible to have a plugin without a moduleId but this is
not currently used)
- a plugin can define a classloader in which case:
-- a plugin with a classloader can define geronimo services (gbeans)
that can use classes in the classloader (and its parents)
-- other plugins can depend on this classloader (i.e. have this
classloader as a parent).
-- the plugin can contain classes which are made available in the
classloader.  This is used mostly for javaee application plugins,
where the application classes are packed in the plugin.
- a plugin can contain resources that are unpacked into the server
upon installation (typically into the var/ directory in a plugin-
specific location)
- a plugin includes a list of dependencies.  This is intended to
normally be effectively the same as the classloader dependencies, if
there is a classloader.
- a plugin without a classloader definition still includes a list of
dependencies.  These are typically used as "plugin groups" to install
a set of plugins at once.

Plugins can contain both server functionality and application
functionality or both.  For instance, you can include a web server
configuration in a web app plugin.

How do I find plugins?
- plugins are listed in plugin catalogs which contain information
about the plugins (typically name and description) and where to get
the plugin.
- plugins are normally stored in plugin repositories which act much
like maven2 repositories.
- The most common examples of plugin repositories are:
-- your local maven repo if you have built geronimo or used maven to
package plugins
-- the apache plugin repository containing all the plugins packages by
the Apache Geronimo project
-- another geronimo server running the jetty or tomcat plugin-console
plugin

How do I install plugins?
- Into an existing server:
-- gshell deploy/list-plugins command
-- admin console
-- using maven and the geronimo-maven-plugin
- Into a new server assembly using the car-maven-plugin
Note that in all cases the dependency system assure that if you
install a plugin, everything needed to run the plugin will also be
installed.  For instance if you install a javaee application plugin
such as one of the samples into the framework server,  openejb,
openjpa, the transaction manager and connector framework and the
appropriate web container will also be installed as dependencies.

How do I create plugins?
- As part of a maven build using the car-maven-plugin
- "virtually" by installing a deployed application from a running
geronimo server acting as a plugin repository
- using the admin console to create or edit the plugin metadata

How do I assemble a server?
- in a maven build using the car-maven-plugin
- by extracting a server from a running geronimo server using gshell
or the admin console.  By specifying the "top level" functions you
want such as one or more javaee applications you will also include all
the plugins needed to support that functionality such as a web
container, openejb, etc etc.

Something that I'd like to see covered in the docs but haven't written
myself would be a description of recommended workflow from development
through qa to production using plugins, plugin repositories,  and
custom assemblies.  IMO this is a lot easier to do using maven but can
also be done with other tools, e.g. gshell scripting and use of
geronimo servers as plugin repositories.

thanks
david jencks