geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Samples - Why are the tomcat/jetty prerequisites not set?
Date Thu, 11 Sep 2008 15:19:33 GMT

On Sep 11, 2008, at 11:13 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> OK, it's because of wanting to install on a framework assembly....
> Guess we're stuck with this for 2.1, but never liked this approach,
> especially given we are providing Tomcat and Jetty versions of each
> sample and most do truly prereq a web container...
>
> I disagree with this approach for 2.2 since we'll have plugin
> profiles that users should be using instead of starting with the
> framework assembly.

what? why does the existence of the framework profile change the
reasoning?  You need enough of a server to install plugins, then
everything else required for the app is pulled in.  The framework
profile defines this minimal server.  The framework profile just makes
it easier to assemble servers, it doesn't change how to add stuff to a
server.  I don't see any relevance of any of the other profiles since
they are designed to help with assembling servers with specific
capabilities, which is irrelevant to the process of installing plugins
into a frameworks server.

not sure how coherent this is but I don't understand what you are
saying at all.

thanks
david jencks