geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Rex Wang" <rwo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] enhance the assemble server portlet usability
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2008 09:30:40 GMT
Really an exciting roadmap on Customer Server Assembly! I'd like to clear my
understanding on this mission, and hope this helpful for "function centric"
server assembly.

Glossary:
Server template ĘC a description of a customer server assembly, and is
composed by some function profiles.
Function profile ĘC a description of a function (that is plugin group), and
is composed by some plugins.

1.    How to assemble a server?
    1)    manually choose the function profiles from a list to assemble a
server
    2)    using a server template to generate a server

2.    How to generate a server template?
    1)    manually choose the function profiles from a list and export as a
server template
    2)    export the current server as a server template

3.    How to build a function profile?
    1)    manually choose some plugins from a list and export as a function
profile (such as what we does today, for advanced user only)
    2)    combine some existing function profiles to build a new function
profile

Thanks!

Rex

2008/8/26 Joe Bohn <joe.bohn@earthlink.net>

> [...]
> 3) The profiles can be persisted, reused, and shared among users (just like
> regular plugins).
> 4) It can be used to construct entire collections of components that define
> a cohesive set of function for a server.  This can then be installed on a
> framework assembly to produce consistent/repeatable server images (such as
> our javaee5 server or some subset such as a web service only server image).
> 5) It might be able to be used to create a consistent server image across
> server released when modified (via automation or manually) to accommodate
> differences between the old and new server versions.  This can potentially
> provide an upgrade path for our users that have created custom assemblies.
>
> I think this function is more general than just what is needed for
> "assemble a server".  However, in that specific context we could do the
> following:
> - Let a user choose plugins, profile plugins (for lack of a better term) or
> whatever from which they would like to create a server image.
> - Produce another profile plugin that includes the total selection instead
> of (or in addition to) creating a server image.
> - The user could then save/publish/whatever the profile plugin.
> - The profile plugin could be installed into a framework server image to
> convert it into the specific server that was desired.
> - Of course, the real function (what we know as plugins now) would be
> installed from a repository - either local or remote.
>

> This kinda gets at one of the things that has been nagging me about the
> "assemble a server" discussion ... that being that a user must select some
> core set of plugins to create a viable server image.  This always seemed a
> bit foreign to me because all along I've been thinking that assembling a
> server would always start with a core framework assembly which included the
> necessary core function (such as the ability to install plugins).  That was
> originally the purpose of the framework assembly and I ensured that you
> could install plugins into it way back when.  I think (but I might be wrong)
> that starting with a framework assembly when creating a new server assembly
> should make it easier to make a pure template/profile plugin because you
> don't need to worry about any core server capability.  All of the core stuff
> should already be included in server image used as the starting point.  A
> user would only need to install particular features on top of that to create
> the specific flavor of server they desire.  And, these features could be
> combined to create a server image that has the nature of multiple profiles.
>  From a user perspective it's all the same.  He can build up a server by
> installing plugins - some very small in granularity and other quite large
> (perhaps large enough to pull in everything they want in the server image
> with one selection).
>
> I've rambled enough for now ... and I hope it isn't all lunacy.

Version

and