geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "wei zhang" <rebekah.zh...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Documentation of new 2.2 features in current wiki?
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2008 09:32:20 GMT
Hi folks,

Changes are not always bad. We are making changes every day, aren't we? The
world is always dynamic. : )

We did a scenario based task analysis, and tried to organize the topics in a
way that reflects the work flow that users adopt to complete certain tasks
with Geronimo. We tried to organize the topics from the users' perspective
and make the information more easy to use and easy to find. Quality
technical information claims good organization. We also prefer the
"information center based" approach because Geronimo users are mostly
developers and it's hard to differentiation one from the other.

Take the original user's guide for example, tools and commands are discussed
separately in GShell, Tooling, and Administration. However, these tools and
commands are also used elsewhere. The "Tools and commands" topic is placed
under "Administration", while some commands will not be used until the
users do deployment. So, separating this topic from Administration as
reference information makes more sense. What's more, some topics in the
user's guide seem not to be at the appropriate level, for example, the
"Clustering" topic might go well under "Configuring Geronimo" instead of
standing out.

As for the original Developer's Guide, the Tutorial section is not supposed
to be placed inside a Developer's Guide as the two are different types of
information. And, the information in the Tutorial section is ordinary tasks
that developers can perform. The primary function of tutorial information is
to move the user's skill set from their current expertise to a more
experienced level. Often, this information functions as an introduction to a
solution or product that centers on the user's acquisition of general
product knowledge and practice. Unlike Wizards or UA task topics, however, a
tutorial's main purpose is to create understanding about the concepts
supporting a technology or a product, and so to teach fundamental
distinctions, skills and heuristic approaches to using the software more
effectively.

We changed the original Tutorial part to a section that contains specific
tasks developers can perform:

6.2  Developing applications for Geronimo
   6.2.1  Getting familiar with the development environment
    6.2.1.1  Configuring Application Specific Logging with Log4j
    6.2.1.2  Preparing to run SQL statements at Deployment Time
    6.2.1.3  Locating your application specific configuration files
    6.2.1.4  Quick Debugging JSPs of your application
    6.2.1.5  Deploying applications using the Geronimo Eclipse Plugin
(GEP)
   6.2.2  Developing Web applications with GEP
    6.2.2.1  Creating a Dynamic Web project using Eclipse
    6.2.2.2  Developing Web applications for accessing EJB
    6.2.2.3  Developing Web applications for accessing JDBC
    6.2.2.4  Developing Web applications for accessing JMS
    6.2.2.5  Developing JavaServer faces applications
     6.2.2.5.1  Basics of JavaServer Faces
     6.2.2.5.2  Developing AJAX with JSF applications in GEP
     6.2.2.5.3  Using JSP immediate expressions to access JSF
     6.2.2.5.4  Developing user interface with JSF
   6.2.3  Developing Web services in Geronimo
    6.2.3.1  Overview of Web services
    6.2.3.2  Web Services Architecture
    6.2.3.3  Web Services Description Language (WSDL)
    6.2.3.4  Developing Web services
     6.2.3.4.1  Developing a simple Calculator Web Service
     6.2.3.4.2  Developing JAX-RPC Web Services
     6.2.3.4.3  Developing a JAX-WS POJO Web Service
     6.2.3.4.4  Developing a JAX-WS EJB Stateless Session Bean Web Service

     6.2.3.4.5  Developing Clients for a JAX-WS Web Service
     6.2.3.4.6  Developing SAAJ Messaging Web Services
     6.2.3.4.7  Developing MTOM Web Services
     6.2.3.4.8  Developing a simple RESTful Service
     6.2.3.4.9  Developing Client for RESTful Web Service
    6.2.3.5  Migrating from JAX-RPC to JAX-WS
    6.2.3.6  WS Addressing
    6.2.3.7  Secruing your applications
   6.2.4  Developing JEE application clients
    6.2.4.1  Developing an application client to access EJB
    6.2.4.2  Deploying and running JEE application clients
    6.2.4.3  Using Java Persistence API in an application client
   6.2.5  Developing EJB applications
    6.2.5.1  Configuring, developing, and deploying enterprise applications
with Eclipse and Geronimo
    6.2.5.2  Developing EJB applications with Stateless Session Bean
    6.2.5.3  Developing EJB applications with Stateful Session Bean
    6.2.5.4  Developing JMS applications with Message-Driven Bean
   6.2.6  Persistence
    6.2.6.1  Developing container managed persistence with JPA
    6.2.6.2  Developing bean managed persistence with JPA
    6.2.6.3  Developing persistence for JSF applications using JPA
   6.2.7  Developing portlets for the Geronimo administration console
   6.2.8  Converting your current applications into plugins
  6.3  Creating deployment plans
   6.3.1  Deployment plan changes for going from Geronimo 1.1 to Geronimo
2.1
   6.3.2  Creating deployment plans using the deployment plan wizard
   6.3.3  Understanding XML schemas for deployment plans
   6.3.4  Configurations in deployment plans
   6.3.5  Creating deployment plans for applications
    6.3.5.1  Creating deployment plans for Web applications
    6.3.5.2  Creating deployment plans for EJB applications
    6.3.5.3  Creating deployment plans for enterprise applications
    6.3.5.4  Creating deployment plans for JEE application clients
    6.3.5.5  Creating deployment plans for message driven beans
   6.3.6  Annotations
  6.4  Geronimo architecture
   6.4.1  Repositories
   6.4.2  GBeans
   6.4.3  Modules and assemblies

Please let me know what you think of the structure if you have a chance to
review it.

Thank you.