geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From "Lin Sun" <linsun....@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] enhance the assemble server portlet usability
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 21:29:36 GMT
Thanks for the valuable feedback.

So basically, you are proposing to consolidate 3 options to 2 options
and provide the advanced configuration option at the end of either
option.   I think it will still be useful to keep the advanced
configuration option by itself for advanced users who knows exactly
which plugins they want.   This option can produce a custom server
that is not producible from other two options.

Here is what I understand of application centric custom assembly.  I
think the purpose is that the user deploys the application onto the
server and the user is satisfied with everything, then he builds a
customer server out of it.   He wants to keep the assembly as small as
possible with his application running, and it is not important to the
user if he could deploy any other projects to the server.   In this
case, I think it is better not to present the advanced configuration
option as it can confuse users, but it would be fine for me to provide
that if you guys disagree.

The profile concept you proposed is like a group of functions.  I
think I'd rather let users to select functions instead of providing
profiles to keep things simple, as we may not be able to suggest the
right profiles for users and some users may end up not seeing a set of
functions he desires to see in the list of profiles.

For functional based assembly,  I like what you proposed of providing
an advanced configuration at the end to add additional system modules
or application modules if desired.

Create a local server instance is interesting... something I haven't
thought of so far.  It can certainly be considered after the above
items.

Lin