geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <>
Subject Re: car-maven-plugin and <useTransitiveDependencies>true</useTransitiveDependencies>
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 07:44:54 GMT
As a first step to fixing our dependencies I'm going to use mvn
dependency:analyze to remove unneeded dependencies and add ones
directly used but not declared explicitly.  I think this is going to
remove the specification of dependencies in pom packaging projects.

I found some advice on why to do this here:

If anyone objects please speak up before I get too far.

david jencks

> On Aug 12, 2008, at 6:28 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:
>>> I've been considering this since I added the setting.  IMO it's
>>> just revealing problems with our dependency management, not
>>> causing them.  My goal is to use it everywhere.  Here's my half-
>>> baked plan:
>>> 1. make it so the c-m-p configuration can apply small tweaks to
>>> the maven dependencies such as the import classes/services/all
>>> setting rather than having to replace the entire maven
>>> dependencies set with a near-copy.
>>> 2. develop some tooling to compare results with and without
>>> useTransitiveDependencies
>>> 3. starting with framework, convert all the cars to
>>> useTransitiveDependencies=true, adding <exclusions> and changing
>>> scopes in dependencies as needed.
>>> 4. In server/trunk/plugins (and plugins) convert all out-of-plugin
>>> dependencies to dependencies on cars.
>>> Anyone want to help with this?
>> Sounds like a recipe for including a bunch of stuff that we don't
>> want or need...
>> Can you elaborate on why you think it's better to opt out, rather
>> than opt in?
> I'm suggesting 2 things:
> 1. fix our dependencies so they are correct.  This, by itself, will
> make useTransitiveDependencies=true work properly.  Any problems
> such as unwanted inclusions are bugs that have a good chance of
> producing highly undesirable behavior in maven if they haven't
> already done so.
> 2. make the build-time classpath match the run-time classpath by
> using the cars to aggregate their dependencies in maven, just like
> they do in the running geronimo server.  This should dramatically
> reduce the number of dependencies in most of the plugin poms.
> thanks
> david jencks
>> --kevan

View raw message