geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] enhance the assemble server portlet usability
Date Wed, 13 Aug 2008 01:20:08 GMT

> On Aug 12, 2008, at 2:59 PM, Lin Sun wrote:
>
>> I appreciate your valuable feedback!
>>
>> Currently, a user doesn't have that much choices, as we only allow
>> the
>> user to assemble a new server out of plugins in local server, unless
>> we want to change this behavior.
>>
>> So if a user installs the geronimo-tomcat-javaee5 assembly, he can
>> only choose tomcat + axis2.   If a user installs the
>> geronimo-jetty-javaee5 assembly, he can only choose jetty + cxf.
>
> true... for now :-)
>>

>> To simplify things, here is what I suggest.  We allow the users to
>> choose from -
>>
>> __ Web
> __jsp
>>
>> __ JMS
>> __ Web Services
>> __ EJB
>> __ OpenJPA
>> __ Deployment
>> __ Admin Console
>> __ Cluster (tomcat only?)
> __wadi clustering
>>

>> Then the user can just select one or more functions they need and
>> request for the customer assembly server to be created.   Optionally,
>> the user can add on additional deployed apps or other system modules
>> then request for the customer assembly server to be created.
>
> I wonder if we can think bigger :-)
>
> What if we distributed something with _all_ the cars in it and
> customizable profiles for the servers we ship now?  So, you wouldn't
> unpack a particular server, but the server construction kit.  You
> could pick a profile and optionally modify it, then spit out the
> desired server.  Then you would be able to pick jetty/tomcat and cxf/
> axis2 and however much deployment you wanted.
>
> Alternatively maybe the "assemble a server" can show plugins from
> more than just the current server.

Sounds similar (same?) to something I've been thinking of... I was
thinking we could include multiple config.xml files. These files could
be specified when starting a server. E.g.:

./gsh geronimo/start-server -c jee-config.xml
./gsh geronimo/start-server -c minimal-config.xml
./gsh geronimo/start-server -c joes-custom-config.xml

If server footprint is a concern, you can still create custom
assemblies based on these "profiles".

I'm not sure we'd want to include *all* cars and include a wide
variety of possible config files. We certainly could, but I might
stick with current tomcat/axis2 and jetty/cxf specific variants and
maintain a "server" focus, rather than a "server construction" focus.
I also don't think that such a capability would necessarily replace
the function that Lin is proposing.

--kevan