geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] enhance the assemble server portlet usability
Date Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:21:08 GMT

On Aug 28, 2008, at 2:30 AM, Rex Wang wrote:

> Really an exciting roadmap on Customer Server Assembly! I'd like to
> clear my understanding on this mission, and hope this helpful for
> "function centric" server assembly.
>
> Glossary:
> Server template – a description of a customer server assembly, and
> is composed by some function profiles.
> Function profile – a description of a function (that is plugin
> group), and is composed by some plugins.
>
> 1.    How to assemble a server?
>     1)    manually choose the function profiles from a list to
> assemble a server
>     2)    using a server template to generate a server
>
> 2.    How to generate a server template?
>     1)    manually choose the function profiles from a list and
> export as a server template
>     2)    export the current server as a server template
>
> 3.    How to build a function profile?
>     1)    manually choose some plugins from a list and export as a
> function profile (such as what we does today, for advanced user only)
>     2)    combine some existing function profiles to build a new
> function profile

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but to me these are all
plugins.  What I'd like to see added to what we have now are:
- better support for "list of plugins" plugins that dont end up
creating a classloader at runtime.  The boilerplate plugin does this
now, but it should be easier.
- something in the console that lets you create a "list of plugins"
plugin.

I think using the Category or perhaps a naming convention might be
enough structure to distinguish code-and-service plugins, "profile"
plugins, and "template" plugins.

thanks
david jencks