geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] enhance the assemble server portlet usability
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:51:00 GMT

On Aug 25, 2008, at 12:12 PM, Jay D. McHugh wrote:

> [...]
> thinking about groups of modules.  Right now, we have maven artifacts
> and plugins (that are groups of artifacts).  In this discussion, we
> are
> trying to figure out how to divide/build up a server.  And, the idea
> of
> profiles came up to group plugins that are necessary for a particular
> function.
>
> So far, I like everything about the direction that the discussion is
> going.  But, I have two ideas that I think might improve the
> managability of server building/configuration.
>
> The first involves adding a list of profiles that the different
> Gernonimo modules/artifacts would 'satisfy' into the pom's.  That
> would
> enable us to stay away from manually building/rebuilding the list of
> default included ('provided by Geronimo') profiles.
>
> The second would be to add one more level of grouping artifacts -
> templates.  The idea would be that profiles group modules that
> provide a
> particular function and templates would group profiles that (when
> combined) provide a particular server.
>
> For example, right now, we provide five distinct 'flavors' of
> Geronimo:
> minimal (framework), little-G (tomcat), little-G (jetty), JEE5
> (tomcat),
> and JEE5 (jetty).  Those would correspond to five 'provided' templates
> for Geronimo.
>
> As an (extremely oversimplified) example, here is what the little-G
> template might look like:
>
> <template id='little-g-tomcat'>
>  <description>Geronimo Tomcat Little-G Server</description>
>  <version>2.1.2</version>
>  <includesProfile>
>    <!-- full function profiles -->
>    <profile id='geronimo framework' version='x.x' />
>    <profile id='tomcat web container' version='x.x' />
>  </includesProfile>
>  <includesPlugin>
>    <!-- individual plugins, either provided or 'customer specific' -->
>  </includesPlugin>
>  <includesArtifact>
>    <!-- individual libraries -->
>  </includesArtifact>
> </template
>
> A template like this would be relatively easy for either a program or
> user to build and allows for almost unlimited customizability in
> describing what should go into building a server.  Then, rather than
> having our server assembly portlet actually do the work of making an
> actual server - it could simply output the template.  Or, we could
> have
> a new option that would allow for template creation and export (ie:
> export current server as template).
>
> Then we could either check the currently assembled server against the
> template (and pull down whatever profiles/plugins are needed) or
> have a
> 'load template' function that would apply the template to a new

I think this idea is worth pursuing and thinking about some more.  I
think that the "group of plugins" plugin might provide all the
functionality you want.  Here are some comments on the current state
of things that I think might clean up the situation a bit.

First of all, right now the stuff in the foundation is a bit unsettled
and shifting.  There's boilerplate which is kind of the foundation for
the server, but it has quite a bit too much stuff in it.... mostly all
the bin/*.jars used to start various servers, and the geronimo
schemas.  Both of these should be possible to eliminate by enhancing
parts of the plugin installation process: the schemas can be extracted
from the classpath of some car, and the jars are relabeled packed car
files.  The other part of the foundation is the gshell cars which I
suspect can all be made dependencies of boilerplate.  Then you'll only
need to specify boilerplate as a single foundation dependency to get a
working server with whatever else you may want.

Previously I was considering that we don't want to have dependencies
on the foundation stuff from other real plugins so we could have
slimmer alternate foundation setups but maybe if we can slim down
boilerplate we could have an entry for boilerplate in the root
geronimo-plugin.xmls without having a dependency.  I think this might
involve a change to the c-m-p plugin metadata generation.

Second, plugins are really built on dependencies.  So if you have an
application you want to assemble a server around, all you need to do
is specify that plugin plus the foundation goo.  If you want a server
you can  deploy web apps to you can just specify [jetty6/tomcat6]-
deployer.  So IMO a profile ought to be a really really short list of
plugins.... the full server ought to be pretty short.  It might be
interesting to see just how short it can be right now.

Third, I think it will be really really unusual that anyone would
include an artifact in a "group" plugin or one of your templates.  If
its brought in only in this way it can't be an any classloader so will
be inaccessible to any normal operations.  The only reason I can think
of is to make it available to some kind of additional deployment
process but I'm having trouble thinking of an actual example.

Third, if we give all our "group of plugins" plugins moduleIds and
figure out how to keep them from getting "loaded" in any server, then
I think your template is just a plugin.... you can have other plugins
which happen to be profiles, "real" plugins, and plain artifacts.

So... here are some steps I can see forward...
- figure out how a plugin with a module ID can have no effect on any
config files, not even getting added with load="false".  Boilerplate
might already be an example of this.  I think though that we'll need
another flag in the maven xml. This will enable arbitrary nesting of
"group of plugins" plugins.

- figure out how to get dependencies into geronimo-plugin.xml without
getting into the classloader dependencies or service dependencies
Then the "root" plugins such as j2ee-system can pull in boilerplate
and the gshell dependencies without trying to start them or load their
classes.

- figure out how to copy files out of the car's classpath when
installing a plugin. (right now you can only copy files out of the car
itself). This will let us populate the schema directory automatically
as plugins are installed.

- figure out how to install "root" plugins into bin as jars.... or how
to start them directly from their unpacked repository locations.  The
latter might be better but  I suspect would require quite a bit of
gshell support.

thanks
david jencks