geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] enhance the assemble server portlet usability
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2008 18:01:39 GMT

On Aug 12, 2008, at 8:56 AM, Donald Woods wrote:

> Keeping 3 starting paths is fine, but we need to make sure we reuse
> the same portlet views throughout.
>
> Also, I've heard second hand from other community members (like
> Kevan - cough cough) that they have talked to end users who wanted
> simplified/tested profiles to use for assembling servers (like Web +
> JMS).  If we provide application and advanced paths, then we also
> need to provide a profile/function path, which would allow companies/
> ISVs to create custom packages tailored to different development
> groups that only contain the function they need.

:-) I have had conversations where that was requested and seem to
recall musing/wishing for this in the past...

Glad to see this discussion occurring.

I like the concept of profiles.

My one comment, at the moment, is the discussion may be too focused on
the admin console. I'd like to be sure we also include command-based
scenarios as well (and even maven?). IMO, we should permit the same
basic abstractions (at least for the command-based scenario).

--kevan