geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Blevins <david.blev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: Ubuntu Main Distribution
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 08:15:17 GMT

On Aug 6, 2008, at 8:36 PM, Kevan Miller wrote:

> On Aug 4, 2008, at 4:49 PM, Jacek Laskowski wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Aug 4, 2008 at 2:06 AM, Kevan Miller
>> <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> B) A maven build will access multiple, redundant, versions of the
>>> same
>>> artifact. We control the versions that will be included in our
>>> server
>>> assemblies. However, we don't really control the build-time
>>> dependencies
>>> that our build will require. Thus, the transitive dependencies
>>> accessed
>>> during a build may be much more than will actually be needed/used
>>> in the
>>> server assemblies. Is there some way we can help limit the number of
>>> artifacts which must be available during a build?
>>
>> Hi Kevan,
>>
>> Dave Blevins worked out a tool to limit the number of necessary deps
>> in OpenEJB. I think it could be used in Geronimo as well.
>
> Hi Jacek,
> Thanks for the pointer. Perhaps David can comment on the possible
> utility of that tool.

I'm not sure it would help.  The tool simply creates a nested xml
document representing the dependency graph making it easier to see
where unwanted dependencies are getting pulled in so that the correct
maven excludes can be added.  I don't think we have any unwanted
dependencies, so that might not be useful.

I vaguely recall that some part of it reads in all the byte code for
the given module and attempts to determine if there are any
dependencies which aren't used -- at least not directly in code.  That
might be useful.

-David