geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] enhance the assemble server portlet usability
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2008 22:11:46 GMT

On Aug 12, 2008, at 2:59 PM, Lin Sun wrote:

> I appreciate your valuable feedback!
>
> Currently, a user doesn't have that much choices, as we only allow the
> user to assemble a new server out of plugins in local server, unless
> we want to change this behavior.
>
> So if a user installs the geronimo-tomcat-javaee5 assembly, he can
> only choose tomcat + axis2.   If a user installs the
> geronimo-jetty-javaee5 assembly, he can only choose jetty + cxf.

true... for now :-)

> To simplify things, here is what I suggest.  We allow the users to
> choose from -
>
> __ Web
__jsp

> __ JMS
> __ Web Services
> __ EJB
> __ OpenJPA
> __ Deployment
> __ Admin Console
> __ Cluster (tomcat only?)
__wadi clustering

> Then the user can just select one or more functions they need and
> request for the customer assembly server to be created.   Optionally,
> the user can add on additional deployed apps or other system modules
> then request for the customer assembly server to be created.

I wonder if we can think bigger :-)

What if we distributed something with _all_ the cars in it and
customizable profiles for the servers we ship now?  So, you wouldn't
unpack a particular server, but the server construction kit.  You
could pick a profile and optionally modify it, then spit out the
desired server.  Then you would be able to pick jetty/tomcat and cxf/
axis2 and however much deployment you wanted.

Alternatively maybe the "assemble a server" can show plugins from more
than just the current server.

thanks
david jencks