geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: compatibility plugins
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 22:07:14 GMT

On Aug 27, 2008, at 11:27 AM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> David,
>
> I tried your recommendation for using the commonInstance with lots
> of ${} variables.   It seems to be working well - thanks! At the
> moment I've added entries to map 2.1, 2.1.1, and 2.1.2 to the
> current release.
>
> I still have some questions though that I think you can help me with:
> 1) I didn't include "server=client".  My understanding is that this
> adds the entry to the client-artifact-aliases file which would not
> be desirable - right?

correct.  I just picked an example that happened to be for a client.

> 2) What should I do about the client aliases?  Would it make sense
> to add specific artifact-aliases entries to the relatively few
> client cars with server=client specified?  My understanding is that
> c-m-p will skip adding the commonInstance entries if specific
> artifact-alias entries are included.
Hopefully that will work.

> 3) It would be nice if I could add some more commonInstance entries
> in /plugins/client/pom.xml but I've seen comments that multiple
> nested entries have issues. Do you know if that is the case?

I don't remember too well but I think that the "latest" commonInstance
replaces any "farther" commonInstance.  If so that would be the
behavior we want.

If not, I guess we could look into having 2 parent poms, one for
client and one for server.  This will take some experimentation I think.

> Updating c-m-p to process a new attribute might still be a good idea
> because it could provide a finer degree of control.  However, so far
> this seems like a good enough solution for now.

Lets try it and see how it works and if there are problems.

thanks
david jencks

> Thanks,
> Joe
>

> Joe Bohn wrote:
>> David Jencks wrote:
>>> Rather than have separate compatibility plugins, I've thought in
>>> the past that each plugin could include aliases for the previous
>>> versions it's compatible with.
>>>
>>> So, each 2.1.3 plugin could explain how it can replace its own
>>> 2.1.2 version with e.g.
>>>
>>>                            <artifact-alias server="client"
>>> key="org.apache.geronimo.configs/client-security/2.1.2/
>>> car">org.apache.geronimo.configs/client-security/2.1.3/car</
>>> artifact-alias>
>>>

>>> For the 2.1.4 version of this plugin we'd have
>>>                            <artifact-alias server="client"
>>> key="org.apache.geronimo.configs/client-security/2.1.2/
>>> car">org.apache.geronimo.configs/client-security/2.1.4/car</