geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: compatibility plugins
Date Wed, 27 Aug 2008 02:34:03 GMT
Lin Sun wrote:
> I wonder if there is a way to eliminate the need of compatibility
> plugin for samples to install on multiple maintenance releases of
> geronimo (such as 2.1.2, 2.1.3, etc.).
>
> I remember in the plugin catalog, there is a property called
> geronimoVersion.   I wonder if we could allow users to specify a
> geronimo plugin to run on multiple maintenance releases of geronimo in
> this property, for example below means that the geronimo plugin can
> run on G server v2.1.2+.
>
> <geronimoVersion>[2.1.2,)</geronimoVersion>
>
> Since we know there are only minor changes in maintenance releases,
> when this property is set to allow the geronimo plugin to run on
> multiple G releases, maybe we could loose our plugin validation a bit
> to allow the installation to go through?   I can see this function
> being useful for most of our samples which we don't change between
> maintenance releases (or even major releases).

That is another aspect of the problem.  There are really 2 aspects:
1) dependencies that the plugin needs.  This is what we are trying to
solve the with the artifact-aliases defined in the compat* plugins
referenced in this note.
2) The geronimo-version in the geronimo-plugin(s).xml.  This indicates
if the plugin should even be shown as eligible for installation on the
current server.  In order to even get to the point of leveraging what I
have with the compatibility plugins we need to either omit the server
version (as we are currently doing in samples) or loosen the version
checking.  I think it makes sense to allow plugins within the same
major.minor version to be eligible for installation.

Joe