geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] enhance the assemble server portlet usability
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 22:25:54 GMT
Jay D. McHugh wrote:
> Hey all,
>
> I have been trying to get my thought straight on profiles/templates.
> And, I think I just might have done it (we'll see).  Warning, there is
> very little 'implementation' here - mostly food for thought.
>
> First of all, I think that it would be useful to have several ways of
> thinking about groups of modules.  Right now, we have maven artifacts
> and plugins (that are groups of artifacts).  In this discussion, we are
> trying to figure out how to divide/build up a server.  And, the idea of
> profiles came up to group plugins that are necessary for a particular
> function.
>
> So far, I like everything about the direction that the discussion is
> going.  But, I have two ideas that I think might improve the
> managability of server building/configuration.
>
> The first involves adding a list of profiles that the different
> Gernonimo modules/artifacts would 'satisfy' into the pom's.  That would
> enable us to stay away from manually building/rebuilding the list of
> default included ('provided by Geronimo') profiles.
>
> The second would be to add one more level of grouping artifacts -
> templates.  The idea would be that profiles group modules that provide a
> particular function and templates would group profiles that (when
> combined) provide a particular server.

I think I'm getting a little lost in the terms here.  IIUC you are using
the following groupings (from the most comprehensive to the least):

Templates (server definitions) contain Profiles
Profiles (groupings of plugins) contain Plugins
Plugins contain Geronimo modules/artifacts
modules/artifacts - core building blocks of Geronimo

I've oversimplified a bit but I think that is logical grouping you are
proposing .... Is that correct?

If it is, then I think your 1st idea above is to include the knowledge
of containment in the child rather the parent.  So would I be correct in
assuming that you are proposing adding the knowledge of profile
membership into the plugins (rather than modules/artifacts)?  I don't
have an opinion on that yet ... just trying to understand.

> For example, right now, we provide five distinct 'flavors' of Geronimo:
> minimal (framework), little-G (tomcat), little-G (jetty), JEE5 (tomcat),
> and JEE5 (jetty).  Those would correspond to five 'provided' templates
> for Geronimo.
>
> As an (extremely oversimplified) example, here is what the little-G
> template might look like:
>
> <template id='little-g-tomcat'>
>   <description>Geronimo Tomcat Little-G Server</description>
>   <version>2.1.2</version>
>   <includesProfile>
>     <!-- full function profiles -->
>     <profile id='geronimo framework' version='x.x' />
>     <profile id='tomcat web container' version='x.x' />
>   </includesProfile>
>   <includesPlugin>
>     <!-- individual plugins, either provided or 'customer specific' -->
>   </includesPlugin>
>   <includesArtifact>
>     <!-- individual libraries -->
>   </includesArtifact>
> </template
>
> A template like this would be relatively easy for either a program or
> user to build and allows for almost unlimited customizability in
> describing what should go into building a server.  Then, rather than
> having our server assembly portlet actually do the work of making an
> actual server - it could simply output the template.  Or, we could have
> a new option that would allow for template creation and export (ie:
> export current server as template).
>
> Then we could either check the currently assembled server against the
> template (and pull down whatever profiles/plugins are needed) or have a
> 'load template' function that would apply the template to a new
> (presumably framework only) server.

This notion of a template is exactly in line with what we had discussed
before and what I brought up again a few days ago.  It is basically a
definition of a server in "thin" format.  I keep thinking of it in xml
(like you referenced above) but it could be in some other format.  The
idea was that you could use this template and some utility to enhance a
framework server and turn it into whatever kind of server you want it to
be.  The utility would be nothing more than something that could read
the template, drill down to the appropriate set of plugins, and install
them along with any other configuration necessary for the server.  The
actual plugins that are installed (also groupings of plugins for
simplification) could be in some local toolkit repo we ship with
Geronimo or in remote repositories we make available when we release a
server version (as we do today).

I prefer this approach because it encourages portability and
predictability.  You can generate a template and then use it to create
many server images which should be identical.  Thought must be given
when creating the template.  However, creating multiple server images is
then a fairly simple process from the user perspective.  If we can come
up with a version independent way to specify the Geronimo dependencies
then this can be portable across server releases so that the user can
potentially use the template they generated for a particular server
image in 2.2.1 and generate a comparable server image for 2.2.2.  I
wouldn't anticipate that we could make this portable across major
releases but I would hope we could make it portable across minor
releases.  We don't necessarily need to tackle the upgrade scenario now
but I think the template approach sets the stage for some possibilities.