geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <>
Subject Re: System requirements Geronimo and Geronimo Eclipse Plugin
Date Mon, 25 Aug 2008 19:02:38 GMT
Ted Kirby wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2008 at 11:46 AM, Joe Bohn <> wrote:
>> Donald Woods wrote:
>>> Not sure that we need another page or link off of GMOxSITE for this.
>>> Runtime requirements for Server and GEP should be listed either in their
>>> respective Release Notes or on the release download page, so they get
>>> updated and maintained as part of the existing release process.
>> I agree.  We already include a link to the release notes on the download
>> page.  That way they can view the information prior to download as well as
>> look at the release-notes for an image they have already downloaded.
> The only info on this I can find is in the release notes.  Here is the
> information in its entirety:
> "System Requirements
> -------------------
> You need a platform that supports the Sun JDK 5.0+ (J2SE 1.5.0+) or greater.
> Most testing has been done on Linux, Mac OS X, and Windows.
> Certification Status
> --------------------
> Apache Geronimo v2.1.2 has passed 100% of SUN's Java Enterprise Edition 5.0
> "
> It seems like we could provide more information and guidance to users.

I was only pointing out that we have a link to the release notes from
the download page and agreeing with Donald that this might be a more
appropriate place to include this information rather than creating
another new page.  Including this info in the release notes makes it
available locally in every server image downloaded.  I'm sure there is
no shortage of information that would be good to include in the release
notes ... including more clearly stating the system requirements.

> Ted
>>> Details on build requirements should go in the GMOxDEV wiki and not in the
>>> general release notes or user docs.
>> Right.  We also have a build page for Geronimo
>> (  It seems
>> that it is a bit out of date and it doesn't include all of the information
>> listed below.  I think we should update this page rather than create a new
>> one.
>>> -Donald

View raw message