geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Documentation of new 2.2 features in current wiki?
Date Wed, 20 Aug 2008 21:27:30 GMT
Lin Sun wrote:
> I am concerned at making changes in two places and we should eliminate
> that if possible.   Should we only copy the documents that are
> complete?   Is the check mark next to the document link a good
> indication of completeness?

I agree with the concern (in fact I raised it myself yesterday) ... but
it seems that the time is right to start the 2.2 doc.  We have people
willing to jump in and help out with a new structure (like Rebekah and
Jack) that were currently stuck and people were also interested in
documenting 2.2 functions.  It was agreed that seeding the 2.2 doc from
the 2.1 space was the right approach.  Unfortunately, the export/restore
is an "all or nothing" proposition.  You either copy the entire space or
manually copy each individual page.  I have no idea if the checkmarks
are accurate ... but I suspect they are not.

As far as maintaining the 2 docs, I think we all should take the
following approach:
- Treat the 2.2 documentation as the "primary" documentation.  In other
words, update this first if there are changes to be made.
- Mirror updates from the 2.2 doc back to the 2.1 doc.

That way, if there is any discrepancy we will know that the 2.2 doc is
"more correct" and the things just might not have been mirrored back to
2.1 (or perhaps changed in 2.2).

Joe