geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject versioned dependencies are driving me nuts
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 21:48:58 GMT
I've been looking into possible ways to get the Geronimo Sample plugins
created in such a way that they can be installed in multiple Geronimo
Server versions.

I had success doing this a few months back with the very, very simple
Geronimo Server Specific Repository plugin.  It was possible to create
this plugin so that it could install on multiple server releases by
setting includeVersion to false in the car-maven-plugin configuration.

However, attempting to do the same for the samples isn't working as
smoothly.  For example, if I add includeVersion false in the
jsp-examples-tomcat/jetty poms the geronimo-plugin.xml (and
geronimo-plugins.xml) are correctly generated with dependencies on
tomcat and jasper that omit the version (actually there is something
else wrong where it shows 1 dependency on jasper but 2 on tomcat - none
with versions ... but that's a different problem).  However, when I
attempt in install the plugin a Geronimo 2.1.1 or 2.2-SNAPSHOT server
image the gbean fails to start because of a missing dependency on
org.apache.geronimo.configs/tomcat6/2.1.2/car.  I can't figure out where
it is picking up this versioned dependency.  Any ideas?

The only difference I notice between the server-repo plugin where this
works and the sample where it doesn't is that the samples utilize the
deploymentConfigs in the car-maven-plugin configuration.  At the moment
these entries must include a geronimo version or we get a NPE during the
build (I was thinking of seeing it we could default a version if none is
provided for the deployer but I'm not sure that is the issue anyway).
Is it possible that some dependency is getting pulled in because of the
deployer and perhaps persisted somewhere hidden (like in the config.ser
file)?  This is really driving me nuts.

Joe