geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] write access to GMOxSITE
Date Tue, 19 Aug 2008 13:35:44 GMT

Aside from the summary/questions listed by Hernan on 4/28 (with response
by Kevan on 4/28, 5/23 and comment by Hernan on 5/28) ... I don't see
any other conclusion or summary.  There is also some reference to the
spaces and groups in our wiki [3] ... but it isn't very specific on
these points beyond the presence of the groups and a brief descriptions.
  The PMC vote requirement was dropped by Kevan in the 4/28 response.

Also, on 4/18 David Blevins added this comment in the thread:
"I definitely think our website should remain restricted to committers.
  I sort of see that as separate from the rest of our spaces. "

Based on what we have been doing since this discussion and the way
things are configured at the moment in confluence this seems to be the
current approach:

1. Access to all of our wiki spaces is via the geronimo-contributor
group (geronimo-committers also has access to all wiki spaces).
2. Any user with a CLA on file can be granted access to the
geronimo-contributor group without a PMC vote.
3. The only record maintained of write access is in the
geronimo-contributors group itself.
4. Geronimo site authorization (GMOxSITE) is exclusively administered
via the geronimo-committers group.
5. Only those with commit authority on Geronimo are currently included
in the geronimo-committers group.

I agree that getting more folks contributing on doc is a very good
thing.  We have accomplished that via the CLA wiki access.  However, it
seems to me that write access to our site requires a bit more trust.
The site is the official face of Geronimo to the outside world.  I'm
inclined to keep this restricted to committers but I'm certainly open to
other ideas.

[3]
http://cwiki.apache.org/geronimo/geronimo-cwiki-documentation-architecture.html

Joe