geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Donald Woods <dwo...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] enhance the assemble server portlet usability
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 17:50:13 GMT
Yep, the current custom assembly portlet needs some love...

I agree that there are three usage scenarios, but thinking that we could
handle all with the same portlet.  We don't want users to start down an
"application" path only to find out that they can't add additional
modules (like the deployers, monitoring, ...) and have to start over and
use the advanced path.

Maybe we can create a set of views that are displayed or hidden, based
on how the user starts, like
1) "Create a server assembly based on a deployed application"
     - prompts user to choose from deployed application(s) (but hides
system modules)
     - presents user with an "advanced options" link, to add other
system modules
2) "Create a server assembly based on a profile"
     - prompts user to choose from a predetermined list of profiles
         - Web (our minimal assembly today)
	- Web + JMS
	- Web + EJB
     - presents user with an option to "add deployed application(s)"
     - presents user with an "advanced options" link, to add other
system modules

Also, would be nice to give the option to create a local server instance
(sharing the same repo), along with the existing zip/tar option....

-Donald