geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Tim McConnell <tim.mcco...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove GEP server features?
Date Sun, 10 Aug 2008 04:47:09 GMT
Hi Ted, I view the value-add of being able to download the Geronimo server from
the GEP to be very negligible to an end-user. It's slow and very error-prone, and
I cannot recall any problems reported by users of this capability, which leads me
to believe that it is not used very much. We should probably verify on the
user-list though (I wonder if we can somehow gather download statistics for these
server features ??). As you've noted the development hours required to maintain
this function in the future with the new provisioning system of Ganymede is going
to continue to be inordinate. I don't really like the idea of "hiding" this
capability though; I think we should just eliminate it entirely, especially if it
would facilitate your idea of getting the GEP server adapter included with WTP,
which is a wonderful idea as it could conceivably expose Geronimo to many new
users who may not even be aware of it. Thanks

--
Thanks,
Tim McConnell