geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Documentation of new 2.2 features in current wiki?
Date Fri, 08 Aug 2008 21:48:17 GMT

Thank you for the additional information Rebekah.  I didn't intend to
imply that change was bad ... I just wanted to better understand the
what was driving the change.  Change just for the sake of change can be
useless and produce less than desirable results.  I now understand the
problems that you are trying to solve and agree that some changes are
necessary.

I agree with Jacek that I prefer the merged (infocenter) style approach.
  Overall, I like the organization that you have proposed.  I have just
2 initial alternative ideas to propose on the structure:

1) I would move the the content of section 3.2 (getting and building
Geronimo) somewhere under section 6 on development (perhaps Developing
Apache Geronimo).  I think that most users will begin with our pre-built
assemblies and may never see a need to build Geronimo themselves.  Under
section 3.2 I would include information on choosing a Geronimo assembly,
obtaining it, and leveraging the pre-built server.  We should also
mention the possibility of custom built assemblies and appropriate
pointers if they choose to either create their own server using the
customer server features or go hog wild and build a unique server image
directly using maven (in which case they would need to understand how to
build a G server from our source).

2) Consider moving the extensible administration console sections (4.8)
under development as well.

Also, like Jacek, I would like to harness your enthusiasm to seed the
2.2 content (with a new structure) from the 2.1 documentation.  I think
that would be a great help to get the 2.2 documentation effort off the
ground.

Thanks,
Joe