geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Documentation of new 2.2 features in current wiki?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 21:08:46 GMT
David Jencks wrote:

> On Aug 7, 2008, at 8:43 AM, Jarek Gawor wrote:
>
>> IMHO, the 2.2 space must be seeded from the 2.1 space. The question is
>> just when to do it. That's why I suggested creating 2.2 content under
>> some temporary space. Once we have the actual 2.2 space setup (from
>> 2.1 content) then we can move these new pages into 2.2 space. It will
>> be a lot easier to move just a few pages of the new content then merge
>> lots of pages of 2.1 content into 2.2 space.
>
> I agree.  IMNSHO the approach we used in 2.1 of not copying the entire
> previous documentation verbatim and modifying it but rather moving each
> page one at a time set us back at least one month and I don't think
> we've fully recovered.
>
> I'd also like to request that in the 2.2 documentation there be _no_
> hand maintained tables of contents, indexes, etc.  My experience with
> them is that whatever the apparent benefit in terms of better ordering
> or nicer layout, the main effect they have is to conceal most of the
> newest documentation.  This would require some editing after the 2.1 to
> 2.2 mass copy I'm hoping for.
>
> thanks
> david jencks

Alright.  When I created the new space I was attempting to get things
moving on the new documentation.   I can see now that I didn't
accomplish that given the dilemma on how to merge in the 2.1 content.

Until we can resolve this I've done the following:
- Removed the reference to the new GMOxDOC22 space from the main
Geronimo wiki page.  I did not yet delete this space in case we decide
we can still leverage it in some fashion (it took a little time to setup
the permissions, Geronimo banner, etc...).  We can remove it at anytime
if necessary to create the final 22 documentation space.
- Created a "Geronimo 2.2 New Features" page to act as a parent for new
2.2 content under the GMOxDEV page (as suggested by Jarek)
- Added a link to the new temporary page next to the release documents
on the main documentation page.  Yes, this means that there are 2 links
to the "Geronimo 2.2 New Features" page on the main page ... but I
thought it was important that this initial 2.2 doc be easy to find near
all of the other G version doc links.  I think the users will have less
difficulty finding the doc and it will set a consistent expectation for
where they can find the full documentation when it is all merged together.

I hope that solves everybody's concerns and allows folks to start
documenting 2.2 features now while we figure out the best way to handle
the structure and mass population of the Geronimo 2.2 doc space.

Joe