geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Joe Bohn <joe.b...@earthlink.net>
Subject Re: Documentation of new 2.2 features in current wiki?
Date Thu, 07 Aug 2008 15:02:31 GMT

I agree in principle with creating a new location for 2.2 features to be
documented.  My only concern was that we are consistent so that the
documentation will be easy for users to find and easy to integrate when
we eventually do a mass merge from 2.1 to 2.2.

So, I created a new space for 2.2 documentation to provide a consistent
structure and to capture the enthusiasm to document 2.2 changes.  I
seeded it with a top level structure that matches our 2.1 doc but no
actual content.  You can find it here:
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/documentation.html

I suggest that we create new content for 2.2 under this page for now:
http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDOC22/what-changed-in-22.html
  .... I chose the current name to match what we had in 2.1.

If a particular change has broad implications for documentation that is
already available in 2.1, we can copy current 2.1 content into 2.2 and
modify it accordingly.

As David pointed out earlier, we do not have the ability to
automatically merge the 2.1 content into the 2.2 content at a later time
using this approach.  Any merge will be a manual effort.  The only
alternative I am aware of would be to seed the new 2.2 space with the
complete current 2.1 content.  However, that brings about some
maintenance issues of keeping things in sync and doesn't encourage 2.2
updates.  When we last discussed this for 2.1 we decided to start with
the empty space and so I took the same approach for this release.

I hope this provides something that will serve as a good place for the
2.2 content for now.  If we decide later that we should have started
with a complete copy of 2.1 we can always create a copy and merge the
new 2.2 documents back into the 2.1 copy.  However, for now this at
least provides a place we can use and it is obvious to our users where
they can find 2.2 documentation.

Joe