geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: car-maven-plugin and <useTransitiveDependencies>true</useTransitiveDependencies>
Date Tue, 12 Aug 2008 20:03:46 GMT

On Aug 12, 2008, at 12:17 PM, Jarek Gawor wrote:

> I think we should stop using
> <useTransitiveDependencies>true</useTransitiveDependencies> in
> car-maven-plugin. It's just pulling in too much stuff and it's hard to
> control it (see https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-4233).
> Looks like only ./framework/configs/gshell-* configs are using that
> option.

I've been considering this since I added the setting.  IMO it's just
revealing problems with our dependency management, not causing them.
My goal is to use it everywhere.  Here's my half-baked plan:

1. make it so the c-m-p configuration can apply small tweaks to the
maven dependencies such as the import classes/services/all setting
rather than having to replace the entire maven dependencies set with a
near-copy.
2. develop some tooling to compare results with and without
useTransitiveDependencies
3. starting with framework, convert all the cars to
useTransitiveDependencies=true, adding <exclusions> and changing
scopes in dependencies as needed.
4. In server/trunk/plugins (and plugins) convert all out-of-plugin
dependencies to dependencies on cars.

Anyone want to help with this?

thanks
david jencks