geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From David Jencks <david_jen...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Documentation of new 2.2 features in current wiki?
Date Thu, 31 Jul 2008 22:38:25 GMT

On Jul 31, 2008, at 12:54 PM, Joe Bohn wrote:

> David Jencks wrote:

>>> I agree with Jarek. I'd prefer that we keep 2.1 and 2.2 content
>>> separated. We've still got G 1.1 users. I don't see how a
>>> documentation super-set is going to be viable, in the long term.
>>> At some point, the documentation would need to be separated.
>>> Better, I think, to start out that way and keep things cleaner for
>>> 2.1 users.
>> If the 2.1 docs are complete I suggest we immediately copy them to
>> a set of 2.2 docs and I will happily document new features there.
>> If not we need a plan.  I think there have been two basic ideas so
>> far:
>> 1. put new 2.2 docs go into http://cwiki.apache.org/GMOxDEV. A
>> quick glance suggests this is currently mostly a combination of
>> advice on how to develop geronimo and documentation that applies to
>> released versions of geronimo such as 2.0 and 2.1.  I don't see any
>> reason so far to think that this will be maintained better in the
>> future and stuff moved from here to appropriate versioned docs.
>> How would this work?
>> 2. Add 2.2 docs to the current 2.1 docs, clearly marked as for 2.2
>> and later.  If and when we copy the 2.1 docs to a 2.2 branch, we
>> can remove these pages from the 2.1 docs and remove the "since"
>> notices.
>
> 3. Create a new space for Apache Geronimo 2.2 (similar to the spaces
> we have for 1.0, 1.1, 1.2, 2.0, and 2.1).  Add new documents
> specific to 2.2 into this new space.  It would be fairly sparse for
> now.  When we complete the 2.1 docs we can clone them into the 2.2
> space and integrate the 2.2 specific documents into the appropriate
> sections/structure.

My impression from the 2.1 debacle of not starting by copying the
existing documentation into a new 2.1 space was that after the space
was created, you couldn't copy stuff from another space en mass.
Hopefully I'm wrong.  Anyway this hopefully mis-understanding is the
basis for (1).

thanks
david jencks