geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [DISCUSS] Remove GEP server features?
Date Mon, 11 Aug 2008 20:51:13 GMT

On Aug 11, 2008, at 4:18 PM, Ted Kirby wrote:

> I now have code to open a browser window at
> http://geronimo.apache.org/downloads.html.
>
> So, should I make all this so for trunk, and GEP 2.1.2?
>
> My proposal/request for vote is to:
>
> 1) Eliminate the server runtime features
> org.apache.geronimo.server.{jetty,tomcat}.v2{01}.feature
> 2) Replace the "Download and Install" button with a "Download Server"
> link that opens an external browser window at
> http://geronimo.apache.org/downloads.html.
>
> This simplifies the install options for GEP, and makes the user
> install the server outside of eclipse, which is in line with what
> servers included in WTP do.

Sounds ok to me. I don't see why a vote would be necessary, unless
this is a particularly contentious issue (which I haven't seen, to
date)...

IIUC, Eclipse update site downloads are slow and error prone.
Requiring users to download outside of Eclipse is inline with how
other WTP server adapters work. So, this change would essentially
"fix" 2.1.x.  Seems ok to change in both trunk and 2.1.x.

--kevan