We might want to think about updating derby.  I believe we skipped over updating to previous releases because of a bug.  See https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/GERONIMO-3545 for details.  The issue is fixed in both the 10.3.3.0 release and the 10.4.1.3 release.  I haven't really looked at them, so I don't know much about new functionality, but our current derby version is over 2 years old.  Any thoughts?