geronimo-dev mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Reducing the dojo footprint in Geronimo
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2008 14:59:43 GMT

On Jul 29, 2008, at 3:36 PM, Joseph Leong wrote:

> Hi everyone,
>
> So i'm building a little widget piece to run on AG and i've come to
> the point of deciding whether i'm going to incorporate any (if) dojo/
> dojox components into it.  I know we've had varying discussions
> about reducing the dojo footprint.  To summarize i believe the only
> thing we've agreed on so far is removing the unncessary /tests , but
> i'm wondering if the community had anymore input on keeping dojox
> around?  To summarize it is my understanding these are the choices
> suggested so far:
>
> 1) Removing Dojo from AG and having users include their own
> optimized Dojo files for their apps. The downside is that we may be
> inefficient in aggregating multiple copies of Dojo.
>
> 2) Leave Dojo support in AG as is now. We can safely rely on the
> fact that their will be no duplicate instances of dojo for those who
> use it, but we must now rely on having that dojo overhead even for
> users who don't utilize it.
>
> 3) Creating a slim version of Dojo to support the features relying
> on it in AG, thus allowing users who want to demonstrate fundamental
> dojo features to utilize it - but however we incur the maintenance
> overhead of creating new builds of Dojo to incorporate with AG
> releases as new fundamental AG components with Dojo are included.
>
> Personally, I feel the functionality subset of DojoX captures a lot
> of what this Web2.0 era is looking for.  Although it may make more
> sense to go with option 3, now, i feel it's only a matter of time
> before we switch over to option 2.  To provide the community with a
> better grasp of what the DojoX functionalities are goto: http://dojocampus.org/explorer/#Dojox

>  and you'll find yourself quite surprised at how innovative and
> integrated these technologies are influencing your favorite sites.

Thanks a lot for picking this up, again, Joseph.

Personally, I'd like to see the Dojo footprint within Geronimo
reduced. It's pretty simple to make a full-Dojo plugin that users can
install, if they want a full Dojo library available. IMO, this can
meet the needs of Dojo users (as described in #2).

Can you help me understand the maintenance overhead of creating a
customized Dojo library? If #3 is high maintenance, I may need to
reconsider.

--kevan